What DE razor to get?

Been looking at DE razors and want to switch to using one, any suggestions on what one I should get as a started one? Looking to spend up to £20 maybe a bit more

I was looking at the Weishi 9306, but I think it was just the case it came in I liked.

If you can go to £22-£23, I'd recommend an Edwin Jagger DE89. Superb fit and finish, nicely-balanced weight, and just the right amount of aggressiveness for a newcomer to DE shaving. Nothing wrong with Weishis exactly, just that they're very mild, and that could lure you down the path of applying pressure and shaving over the same areas again and again in order to get a tidy shave. Trust me, that path is not one I'd recommend, unless you like ingrown hairs and razor burn.

If you want something with a bit more bite that will train you the correct blade angle and lightness of touch more quickly, and are willing to accept the razor "biting" you if you get it wrong, then the Merkur 34c, otherwise known as the HD, may be your best choice. Of course, there's also vintage stuff, but that's a rabbit warren all to itself...

I would recommend the 89, I was trying to post a link but it wont work. Anyway try Amazon they often pop up on there at great prices.

In fact just had a look £20.60 and free postage, great razor to be starting out with.

Yep, EJ DE89, that was my starting razor and its great. So smooth, so safe, so well finished, so cheap (compared to some).
A great all rounder.

The weishi is light, not very close, and not very good. (I have this too and I've used it 6 times, and not once got a good shave)

Thank you for the advice, I am going to get a Edwin Jagger DE89 then. Is there any difference between DE89 & DE89BL Amazon have two?

Edwin Jagger was my first razor. Everyone always recommends it to the newbies. Got rid of that piece of rubbish long ago :)
Go vintage Gillette, you won't regret it ;)
Anyway, if you do get that 89, get real blades with it - NOT Derbies! Gillette 7 O'clock (yellow) should do nicely.

Helveticum said:
Edwin Jagger was my first razor. Everyone always recommends it to the newbies. Got rid of that piece of rubbish long ago :)
Go vintage Gillette, you won't regret it ;)
Anyway, if you do get that 89, get real blades with it - NOT Derbies! Gillette 7 O'clock (yellow) should do nicely.

Hallelujah brother, I sees the light,

Now that is a good post! Couldn't agree more with everything you said. Damed if you aren't about the smartest guy here.

Martin

Martin! Do you think he was talking about a '04??? A convert! Thank god I have just about as many as I can ever possibly use in one life time!

My recommendation would be an adjustable razor. A Merkur or a early Gillette 1965/66. Best of all worlds, mild, moderate, and close. Also easy to sell or trade if he's not happy with it.

Shayler said:
Thank you for the advice, I am going to get a Edwin Jagger DE89 then. Is there any difference between DE89 & DE89BL Amazon have two?

One has a smooth handle, the other has several shallow grooves along the length of the handle. The grooves are meant to make the handle easier to grip.
I started off with a de89 (smooth handle) and didn't have any issues with the handle being slippery -but I am always careful to rinse the razor and hands before use to make sure they aren't soapy and likely to lose contact.

Either will be a fine shaver to start off with (and for years beyond)

Greetings

I would heartily endorse the choice of an Edwin Jagger, all the heads on the DE89 model are the same it's just whatever handle appeals to you.

I would not be put off the plain chrome handle on the basis that it might be slippery. It is soap that is likely to cause you to drop a razor not wet hands. The patterned handles IMHO look nicer but perform just the same.

They are made superb and will last a lifetime (and beyond I suspect)

My first DE razor was a Merkur Futur and I used Merkur blades I now consider this just about the worst possible choice for anybody new to DE shaving, I never looked at any shaving forums or took any advice. You will have a much better start than I did!

Regards
Dick.

Johnus said:
Martin! Do you think he was talking about a '04??? A convert! Thank god I have just about as many as I can ever possibly use in one life time!

My recommendation would be an adjustable razor. A Merkur or a early Gillette 1965/66. Best of all worlds, mild, moderate, and close. Also easy to sell or trade if he's not happy with it.

If you're referring to the Old Type - in fact yes! I have one left from my great grand dad, and I used it consequently after EJ - whatta difference! Nice smooth shaves, whereas I always had a razor burn with EJ. Anyway, I've been looking for one to replace it - purely for the sentimental value (that one is in a bad shape - bent teeth etc, still shaved better than the Jagger though), so if you've got one for sale, let me know ;) US model, not the ball end.

This one:
z_048b57d3.jpg

ymmv but for me the closest and easiest is with my Joris,,,with a wilkie or yellow...altho got a feather in now...easy peasy

Back
Top Bottom