What are you reading at the moment?

Peter & Jane was OK, it all got a bit dark round about To Kill A Mockingbird.

I jest, partly. When I was in the last year of primary school they stopped teaching me to read and made me an involuntary teaching assistant. Said it was to narrow the gap between the ones who could read well and the ones still at the phonetic break it into syllables stage. Maybe if they'd have carried on teaching me I could have read Paradise Lost after all!

Peter & Jane was OK, it all got a bit dark round about To Kill A Mockingbird.

I jest, partly. When I was in the last year of primary school they stopped teaching me to read and made me an involuntary teaching assistant. Said it was to narrow the gap between the ones who could read well and the ones still at the phonetic break it into syllables stage. Maybe if they'd have carried on teaching me I could have read Paradise Lost after all!
It was all "Janet and John"-type books at my primary school. I didn't start to study more "serious" books until I was at my middle school. And I hated every minute of it.

It probably wouldn't have been so bad if they had given us more scintillating books to read. Instead, we had to study the most boring, verbose guff that was ever published. It was just as bad at high school. I'm sure that the teachers did it on purpose, so that none of us would pass our English Literature exam. Despite their best efforts to make us fail, I actually got a good grade at it. Though, I still think that I would passed with flying colours if we had been given more interesting books that we might have enjoyed more.

So, "schooldays are the best days of our lives"? Whoever said that clearly didn't go to my schools.

The Twelve Dels Of Christmas by David Jason

I bought this book from my local Waterstones today. I have only just started to read it, so time will tell if it's as good as his other books or not. I am fairly confident that it'll be an enjoyable read, at the very least.

Killing For Company by Brian Masters

I found this book in my local Waterstones. It's about the case of Dennis Nilsen, and I do love a bit of true crime, so I decided to buy it. That was a big mistake, though. For reasons I can't easily explain, the book is a real chore to get through, and I am giving serious consideration to giving up on it. Luckily, I had some credit on my Waterstones card, so I didn't pay for it with actual money. I would have been gutted if I had spent any money on it. It's easily the dullest, most ponderously boring book I have tried to read in a long time.

I seriously wouldn't bother with this. Dull, dull, dull.

I'm currently reading Rod Stewart's autobiography. I was in WH Smith the other day, saw it and decided to buy it. I am loving it so far. It's extremely entertaining and a very enjoyable read. Great book. I will be sad when I finally finish it.

I was around that age when I really discovered the joy of reading. I was more into horror fiction, though, and I still am. The first horror novel that I read was The Rats by James Herbert. I enjoyed it immensely, though I don't think that my father approved of my choice of reading material at such a young and tender age. Most of the other kids that I knew at school loved horror, though, which annoyed him even more. By the time that I hit my teens, my bookshelf was full of James Herbert, Shaun Hutson and Stephen King. It never did me any harm, despite my father's best efforts to stop me from reading them. Thankfully for me, he didn't succeed.

Reactions: PHR
Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere.
Have read almost the entire Terry Pratchett Discworld series so thought I would give one of Gaiman's books a go, only read a small part so far but an enjoyable read if you like fantasy.

Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere.
Have read almost the entire Terry Pratchett Discworld series so thought I would give one of Gaiman's books a go, only read a small part so far but an enjoyable read if you like fantasy.
There's a Neil Gaiman graphic novel bundle on Humble Bundle at the moment if that sort of thing interests you. I guess not, but I feel it's worth mentioning.

Back
Top Bottom