What are you reading at the moment?

On that thought - @Barry Giddens - Ferdinand Magellan - b.1480 d.1521 - Portuguese but sailing under a Spanish flag - much like Columbus - Genoise , but commissioned by the Spanish - is generally credited with the first circumnavigation of the globe but he didn't, he died on route - after picking an ill judged fight with the locals in the Philippines. Idiot. Much like Cook elsewhere later. The first person to properly do the circumnavigation was Juan Sebastian D'Elcano - the Victoria's master - a Basque. He was one of 18 survivors of the original crew of the flotilla's 231 sailors. I.

On that thought - @Barry Giddens - Ferdinand Magellan - b.1480 d.1521 - Portuguese but sailing under a Spanish flag - much like Columbus - Genoise , but commissioned by the Spanish - is generally credited with the first circumnavigation of the globe but he didn't, he died on route - after picking an ill judged fight with the locals in the Philippines. Idiot. Much like Cook elsewhere later. The first person to properly do the circumnavigation was Juan Sebastian D'Elcano - the Victoria's master - a Basque. He was one of 18 survivors of the original crew of the flotilla's 231 sailors. I.
Iain. Is this information all stored away in your bonce? Remarkable.
I'm going to bed. Leave me a clue to the Basque word. I will think about it on the way to work.

Iain. Is this information all stored away in your bonce? Remarkable.
I'm going to bed. Leave me a clue to the Basque word. I will think about it on the way to work.

Although Basque - this person came to prominence in the French ancien regime. He was the finance minister - tasked with cost cutting and became associated with penury. Voltaire hated him - fair enough - Voltaire was an idiot in my opinion. His name became connected to an austere or parsimonious form of art depiction. This is a bit like 'Round Britain Quiz?' yours - I.

It's anchovy, is't it? No, wait: can only be bizarre. Or maybe, just could be, the word Iain, which I know is Hungarian and every school boy knows the Basque and Hungarian languages are similar. But then again Iain is found also in Old Icelandic so I remain a little confused.

Did you know the Basque sculls are shaped differently than any other people's skulls? And finally, when Cristobal Colon discovered Miami he found a Basque cruise liner already there. Those boys did get around.

Last edited:
I'm with Barry - that sounds pretty cool to me. Particularly the car - in an ideal world only an E Type Jaguar could have been cooler or - my first choice would have been a Shelby Cobra. The classic muscle car. I've read the 'Great Gatsby,' but many years ago. I remember the prose was as shiny and polished as one of the cuff links of the titular character. I think I read it during the counter-culture binge I had at the time - as previously mentioned - so I really didn't give a toss about the world described and the anxieties associated with it. Was the book referential to William Randolph Hearst - or was that just Citizen Kane? Rosebud.

I'm very impressed William with your son's academic choices. Easy for me to say - I wasn't his father with an anxious eye towards his financial future. I only went onto tertiary education at the age of 40 and had definitely decided that I would study for the love of it only - subjects that I was genuinely interested in - not for any assumed career advancement. Which is just as well - knowing about late antique and medieval history, early Christian and Islamic theology hasn't served any practical purpose in my life since. All the better for it though. People should be able to learn just for the sake of it? It doesn't have to be directly vocational? I fancied linguistics for a while as a direction to pursue - but I soon realised that the discipline quickly descends - ironically - into something that resembles mathematics. Which my brain can't cope with. The history of Indo-European languages and their diffusion - with associated technologies - is something I have read a lot about. Almost half of the world speaks a dialect derived from the root language that split east and west from - best guess - the Caspian steppe around 4000 bce. The old models suggested spread by conquest - but that is largely discredited these days - it seems more likely that it was a process of assimilation as the language brought - at the time - revolutionary technologies with it. Domesticated horses and the wheel - farming perhaps or perhaps not - domesticated live stock probably - well not a wheel singular - it is generally understood that the wheel had been already in use by potters - but two wheels - with an axle in between - that was truly revolutionary. It's like inventing the telephone - one phone rubbish - two phones - that changed the world for ever. Europe these days is almost completely dominated by derived Indo-European languages - the singular example in opposition is where you are. Basque. It's a language isolate - it is not connected to any other language spoken today. Not for the want of trying, nobody can work out its origin. My best guess would be that it is the only surviving pre Neolithic language in Europe - so maybe Mesolithic or upper Paleolithic - I'd support this with the ideas that the words for axe, knife and hoe are derived from the root that means stone in Basque. Also the Basques then - and now are famously ill disposed to outsiders - even the Romans gave them a wide berth. So fact fans - would anybody like to guess what the only commonly used loan word in English comes from Basque? Yours - I.

@Barry Giddens
It is rare for a person who is be gifted in the visual arts to also be so intellectually curious and have the writing skills and talent to pursue those interests. Not saying the two are mutually exclusive, but you don't bump into it everyday and you seem to have an abundance of ability in both areas. Typically, when us members of the Brotherhood of Unfulfilled Early Promise were starting to fade into the twilight of our mediocre careers, you were just blossoming.

It is rare for a person who is be gifted in the visual arts to also be so intellectually curious and have the writing skills and talent to pursue those interests. Not saying the two are mutually exclusive, but you don't bump into it everyday and you seem to have an abundance of ability in both areas. Typically, when us members of the Brotherhood of Unfulfilled Early Promise were starting to fade into the twilight of our mediocre careers, you were just blossoming.
Very nicely put William. I wholeheartedly agree.

Thank you William - I'm humbled - yours - I.

Parsimony?

B - Silhouette. From Etienne de Silhouette - French finance minister b.4/1709 - d.1/1767. Born in France but of Basque stock. I take your point @William Dobson about anchovy and bizarre - but they were taken up in English from - respectively - Portuguese and French. Anchoas or boquerones - in Spanish - one of my most favourite things to eat in the world. Boquerones fritas - si - me gustara. Yours - I.

B - Silhouette. From Etienne de Silhouette - French finance minister b.4/1709 - d.1/1767. Born in France but of Basque stock. I take your point @William Dobson about anchovy and bizarre - but they were taken up in English from - respectively - Portuguese and French. Anchoas or boquerones - in Spanish - one of my most favourite things to eat in the world. Boquerones fritas - si - me gustara. Yours - I.
Thanks for putting me out of my misery Iain. I could have been here until Next December and not got that.
Have you read ‘Lanark'? I heard an old interview with Alasdaire Gray on the radio the other day. Interesting character.

Have you read ‘Lanark'?

Yes B. - I've photographed him also - he is in person a carnaptious old goat. Deeply difficult. The pub I was in tonight - the Ubiquitous Chip - is decorated with murals he painted. He did the grand sweep - but a friend of mine - did the details. Shirley. She did the hands, eyes and faces. They did the same thing in another pub called Oran Mor - at the top of Byres Road. A converted church. As I say - Gray was a total w****r in my experience of meeting him but astonishingly talented none the less. I studied with his partner for a while at Uni - she was much younger than him - she was very bright. You didn't say whether you had read 'Lanark,' - the dystopians' dystopia. Without giving the plot away - the drones are fed the gelatinous remains of their contemporaries. Huxley or indeed Orwell on acid. Yours - I.

Last edited:
Yes B. - I've photographed him also - he is in person a carnaptious old goat. Deeply difficult. The pub I was in tonight - the Ubiquitous Chip - is decorated with murals he painted. He did the grand sweep - but a friend of mine - did the details. Shirley. She did the hands, eyes and faces. They did the same thing in another pub called Oran Mor - at the top of Byres Road. A converted church. As I say - Gray was a total w****r in my experience of meeting him but astonishingly talented none the less. I studied with his partner for a while at Uni - she was much younger than him - she was very bright. You didn't say whether you had read 'Lanark,' - the dystopians' dystopia. Without giving the plot away - the drones are fed the gelatinous remains of their contemporaries. Huxley or indeed Orwell on acid. Yours - I.
I haven't Iain. It's been on my radar for years, but I have never got round to reading it.

Back
Top Bottom