What are the three shaving items that you purchased in 2017 that were a hit and which were a miss?

For me this year, the main positive Hit was - the synthetic knots.
In ascending order of preference:
3 - Tuxedo knot APShave CO brush - this knot finally made me get it with synthetics. It changed my daily routine. I got my first Tuxedo in August and since then it's been synthetics and finally settling with the Cashmere as my main (see below).
2 - Envy Shave 8Ball brush - a tuxedo fan brush, by now I'm in love with Synthetics. But still not happy...
1 - Cashmere knot in a Cadman brush - this brush alone made me shelve all my silver tip badgers including my beloved Plisson HMW and my M&F Chief.

Roll on 2018.

Hit
Razor: X3. It gets 95% face time over my Rockwell and Merkur Progress.

Soap: Vitos red (so good and so cheap), and Tabac.

Others: British Barbers PS Balm, moisturiser, and oil. All outstanding.

Miss:
Haslinger Seaweed. Worst razor burn/irritation ever.
Wool fat - I just don't get its popularity, it's so dull.
Armaf edt - a creed aftershave copy, which is supposed to be very good. Glad I only got a sample.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Perfume Parlour's Goochi Envious. Was a very sad moment finishing the last drop of the real deal, then I discovered this!
Bought my OH the 'Goochi Blooming' from there the other day. Something like £12 delivered for a 30mL spray. She's tested it like-for-like against a sample and it's dead on. Longevity is better than the real deal too. Always nice when you find a winner, isn't it! :D

Reactions: Fox
For me this year, the main positive Hit was - the synthetic knots.
In ascending order of preference:
3 - Tuxedo knot APShave CO brush - this knot finally made me get it with synthetics. It changed my daily routine. I got my first Tuxedo in August and since then it's been synthetics and finally settling with the Cashmere as my main (see below).
2 - Envy Shave 8Ball brush - a tuxedo fan brush, by now I'm in love with Synthetics. But still not happy...
1 - Cashmere knot in a Cadman brush - this brush alone made me shelve all my silver tip badgers including my beloved Plisson HMW and my M&F Chief.

Roll on 2018.

Could you compare the Cashmere to the Tuxedo please? I love my Tuxedo knots but like the look of the Cashmere.

I like this thread

HITS
1. As I only started "wet shaving " in the summer, all my razors are new to me but my favourite was the New Long comb. I have more expensive (and less) but it is very smooth and pretty efficient. Honourable mention: Aristocrat #21 which is just so pretty in rhodium!.
2. Blade samplers - seemingly endless fun for a newbie!
3. P&B soaps. I bought 2 and like them both. The scents add an extra element to a shave.

MISSES
1. Futur clone. Decent shave, but still can't work out why I would want to use it over a Slim Adjustable.
2. One of the first items I bought was a cream (TOBS Sandalwood) and loved it. Now I've tried soaps I pretty much don't use creams at all, and I have a couple. Gutted.
3. The general realisation that all the money I've spent on DE razors and I can still get just as good a shave with my dad's Gillette Tech which I was given. Bit of a waste, even if they are smoother or more efficient. I guess the biggest let down was realising that I might like all of this extra stuff and choices when shaving, but they don't really make any significant difference

Hits:

Blackland sabre
Saponifico varesino soaps
Att g1

Miss:

Att se1
Mongoose
Supply single edge
Pils
Blackbird o/c
Oneblade core
Simpsons manchurian
Wolfman WR1 (decent but not worth the hype and cost)

I know it was only three but ive had alot of misses this year.

Last edited:
Hit:

Another R89 head
EJ Peppermint cream
ADP Colonia Club

Miss:

Muhle Rocca - Just not for me
A couple of packs of really duff Feather blades - More ripping than shaving
Hi, I am trying hard to get on with the Rocca. Most love it so maybe We care doing something wrong! Shaves close and no cuts, but not smooth. Gone back to my edwin j.

Back
Top Bottom