What am I doing wrong

Have you tried a bit more preparation? I had a similar issue until I tried "Kyle's Method", pre-lather before steaming under a towel for three minutes.
From your other earlier posts, it does sound like you are definitely putting pressure on the razor. I would also definitely get the hair growth direction sorted, that's a big one right there.

Going against the grain? I've got a spot on my neck my hair grows in a circle going every direction, No matter how hard I try I always get a nick and it gets sore if I try and rush it
Yes I have to go ATG or the patch looks un shaven, was very careful with pressure today after my disaster of a shave on Friday, went back to a Derby blade as I think the Gillette 7 O'clock was a little sharp for a novice

Have you tried a bit more preparation? I had a similar issue until I tried "Kyle's Method", pre-lather before steaming under a towel for three minutes.
From your other earlier posts, it does sound like you are definitely putting pressure on the razor. I would also definitely get the hair growth direction sorted, that's a big one right there.
Unfortunately I don't have time for any hot towels ( 2 toddlers in the house) but going to look closer at growth direction

Watch Kevys video, where he uses cotton wool too map the direction. I cant just go straight up and down especially on my neck and chin.
Worth the time to map the direction as I'm getting much better shaves now I've got to grips with it.

The Derby and 7 o clock blades aren't that smooth. I've tried both and found them rough for me. Have you tried a Russian blade? The Ladas, Voshkod,Rapira are all sharp and smooth. They sorted out my irritation problems. For me nothing comes close for smoothness. YMMV of course but they are worth a try.

I also have a section that goes in all directions.
It makes it hard to do.
So, I was always tempted to keep going over it and / or put more pressure on it.
I actually left mine to grow for a few days and took close up pictures of it so i could see it.
I was expecting it to grow all in roughly the same direction.
It just doesn't in places. Helped me understand what I was dealing with.
Personally, I found that sharper more aggressive blades / razors worked better for me.
They coped better with all I was throwing at it.
Although I know it doesn't work for all.

I then ended up with SEs then injectors which seem to me to cope with things a lot better.
Anyway, the turning point was the pictures for me. I knew what I was dealing with.
It took me a while though. Slowly slowly catchee monkey.

Yes I have to go ATG or the patch looks un shaven, was very careful with pressure today after my disaster of a shave on Friday, went back to a Derby blade as I think the Gillette 7 O'clock was a little sharp for a novice

Actually, I found out that the sharper the blade, the less damage I had. Most of the irritation and nicks were done when the blade was tugging, or leaving the whiskers sharp due to cutting diagonally through the hair. Now I use a combination of Gillette 7 o'clock yellow, Polsilver and feather. Also, a slant or a SE really works wonders in areas where the direction isn't well defined.

I will look into getting some, might be going shopping tomorrow but don't know if anywhere will be open
I have similar issues and eventually sussed after a spot of face mapping that shaving diagonally over the offending patches works very well

Unfortunately most blades available on the UK High St are not much better than what you have. I would order either a selection pack and experiment further (there are usually a number advertised on here) or buy a safe bet such as Polsilver SI or Astras from Gemstone Trading. Their prices are decent and they ship pretty quickly

Take the advice for sharper blades. Look into getting yourself a Tech and twin it with a Feather. It'll shock you just how easily it'll cleave through your stubble. One other thing, how often are you shaving?

Back
Top Bottom