What advise would you have liked to known at the start?

1) Ditch Derby blades after 5 shaves and get Astra SP.
2) Start with drier brush.
3) Ditch the Proraso brush and get a medium size Omega brush.
4) There are acquisitions disorders that concern blades and soaps. Beware.
5) Soaps last much longer than what you think. Related to previous point.
6) Don't postpone facelathering attempts for months. Getting good lather with facelathering cream, may prove much easier than with bowl lathering.

I agree.

Buying a good synth before using boars would be the one thing I would do differently; the quality of my shaves improved exponentially after I started using my Yaqi synth.
I enjoy my boars; but find I use my RazoRocks far more frequently. Ethics notwithstanding, my EJ Best Badger actually gives the weakest performance of all my brushes. I find it too floppy for face lathering.

1) Ditch Derby blades after 5 shaves and get Astra SP.
2) Start with drier brush.
3) Ditch the Proraso brush and get a medium size Omega brush.
4) There are acquisitions disorders that concern blades and soaps. Beware.
5) Soaps last much longer than what you think. Related to previous point.
6) Don't postpone facelathering attempts for months. Getting good lather with facelathering cream, may prove much easier than with bowl lathering.
Indeed...Derby blades are Beezlebub's idea of a practical and unnecessary cruel joke...

For me - what would I like to have been told when I started?

Don't obsessively chase BBS - if it's going to happen it will happen.

No amount of new kit will make you better at it if you don't know what you are doing. About three years in I didn't buy a single thing for 12 months - I know, imagine? The discipline I once had. I stuck to what I had and learned to use it properly. It was a breakthrough for me.

Yours - I.

Indeed...Derby blades are Beezlebub's idea of a practical and unnecessary cruel joke...

8 months later, i can use Derby to get BBS, but 1) it takes more work than any other blade, 2) it requires different technique than my normal one. But i did make the newb mistake of buying 300 of them. :oops: The positive side is that they are so dull, that i can't get cut with them. I just can't.

Back
Top Bottom