Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Wear one occasionally.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Wear a watch Daily.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • As above, own more than one watch.

Votes: 50 72.5%

• Total voters
For most of my life I wore a wrist watch. While in the service, I wore a G-Shock which I never took off. Now my daily is a 1941 railroad pocket watch (I work with my hands for a living).

I gave up wearing a watch years ago when I realised I was looking at it too much. It occurred to me that there were always ways to find out the time without the need for my own personal timepiece. On the rare occasion that I do need to know the time when out and about, I make sure I've got my mobile with me.

I do always have a watch on, I'd feel naked otherwise. I have to say that I own quite a few watches but I certainly don't consider myself a watch enthusiast, in fact I only use 2 regularly, I tend to rotate them every few weeks:

1. Unknown Seiko battery chronograph, stainless case, black face and black leather strap.
2. Unknown Citizen Eco Drive, stainless.

In addition the follwing watches are wasted on me and sit in a drawer:

Casio G Shock Mudman - about 8 years old, last used in Iraq 5 years ago and I'm surprised to see it's still running.
Festina automatic sports chrono (brown leather strap).
Festina rectangular dress watch in rose gold (brown leather strap) - stopped.
A lorus thing with a fabric strap - Stopped.

joe mcclaine said:
Although I consider myself to have taste, style and discrimination I (personally) can't see how it extends to gaudy-looking, overpriced, oversized trinkets - mainly purchased in the vain hope that someone will say "Oh I just love your watch - it's simply fab u lous, darling! X"

I have one very well-worn G-Shock. It sits there on my wrist, telling me the time.

Job jobbed.

Do you not find it limiting wearing one watch for all occassions? For example not having a smarter dress watch?

I've got no where near the number of watches that are being talked about here (20+!!!), I have 4: Smart dress watch, a watch for work, a general not in work watch and a pocket watch my wife bought me for our wedding. I think it's nice to have certain "bases" covered.

Reevers said:
joe mcclaine said:
Although I consider myself to have taste, style and discrimination I (personally) can't see how it extends to gaudy-looking, overpriced, oversized trinkets - mainly purchased in the vain hope that someone will say "Oh I just love your watch - it's simply fab u lous, darling! X"

I have one very well-worn G-Shock. It sits there on my wrist, telling me the time.

Job jobbed.

Do you not find it limiting wearing one watch for all occassions? For example not having a smarter dress watch?

Limiting?

So far I've managed to do 'all occaisions' successfully without twatting about over what watch to wear or worrying what people think of me based on some cogs and gears and springs and shit and things.

I just get on with stuff.

Works for me.

joe mcclaine said:
Reevers said:
joe mcclaine said:

Job jobbed.

Limiting?

So far I've managed to do 'all occaisions' successfully without twatting about over what watch to wear or worrying what people think of me based on some cogs and gears and springs and shit and things.

I just get on with stuff.

Works for me.

Ha, I suspected that might have been your response!

I have a Seiko Black Monster. All I need. I wear it for all occasions. Love the watch but I can't understand the need for a 'Day' window. Completely pointless imho.

I have a Sector 450 in a drawer somewhere that needs a service and a battery but I'm in no hurry to get it done.

Back
Top Bottom