Watch investment

I have been left a small amount of money in a will and would like to look at getting a watch to remind me of them.
Is there a certain amount you should spend on a watch to make it an investment? Or is there a price range to avoid ? By that I mean £0-£150 I'd get a nice watch. £1000+ I could get a omega or something that would hold its value, more then something In a £400-600 range that would be worth nothing if I decided to sell later on.?

As a bit of a punt maybe have a look at Christopher Ward automatic watches. They have a reasonable range of fine watches which on occasion feature limited run editions. They're excellent watches, made in England and even if they don't become collectibles in future decades you should still have a very attractive and functional daily reminder of your loved ones.

JohnnyO, :icon_razz:/.

Have a look for a classic elegant looking auto.

Some 20 years ago I was left some money and out of the sum I purchased an Oris Big Crown. At the time they were something like £325, the same watch now retails at over £800

JohnnyO said:
As a bit of a punt maybe have a look at Christopher Ward automatic watches. They have a reasonable range of fine watches which on occasion feature limited run editions. They're excellent watches, made in England and even if they don't become collectibles in future decades you should still have a very attractive and functional daily reminder of your loved ones.

JohnnyO, :icon_razz:/.

Sorry but I think you will find they are designed in England and are Swiss made. They are great watches and the movements are excellent quality. I have a Quartz one, I believe they have a sale on at the moment.

I would look at Eddie Platts Timefactors offerings http://www.timefactors.com

Eddie has a bit of a cult following and with the small production watches he sells coupled with some very nice designs, reliable movements and great build quality, his watches generally become sought after.

He also runs the TZUK watch forum were you will find many of he's followers.

Northam Saint said:
Some 20 years ago I was left some money and out of the sum I purchased an Oris Big Crown. At the time they were something like £325, the same watch now retails at over £800

This was certainly a good move on your part but these figures could either indicate an appreciation of value which will continue, or that watch values have hit a current and unsustainable high.

To OP - bottom line IMO is don't buy a watch as an investment (unless you know the landscape very well and can pay a lot for a good LE from a top brand), buy one you like and can afford to lose money on and enjoy it.

Mr TPG said:
Northam Saint said:

This was certainly a good move on your part but these figures could either indicate an appreciation of value which will continue, or that watch values have hit a current and unsustainable high.

To OP - bottom line IMO is don't buy a watch as an investment (unless you know the landscape very well and can pay a lot for a good LE from a top brand), buy one you like and can afford to lose money on and enjoy it.

[attachment=13598]

Quite right it's a dodgy investment and you never know which way it will go. But pick a classic and at the worse you have a decent watch. It took me a while to go for the Oris, I looked at Tag's etc, but at the time the market was awash with fakes and I didn't want the is it real questions. Value aside I am glad I got it, I'll never sell it.

The Christopher Ward is one of two in my collection that's a Quartz and it makes a quick on for when I can't be bothered with resetting the other Auto's. The others are Seiko and Orient and aren't expensive.

[attachment=13599]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428222187.576042.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428222187.576042.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 48
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428222579.151779.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428222579.151779.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 41
That Oris is a beauty, a few years ago Christopher Ward watches were great value for money but the prices have gone up and up and the automatics are now expensive, also they can't get the ETA movements any more so they are now using inferior movements but still nice watches.

Ian D said:
That Oris is a beauty, a few years ago Christopher Ward watches were great value for money but the prices have gone up and up and the automatics are now expensive, also they can't get the ETA movements any more so they are now using inferior movements but still nice watches.

Cheers, only problem is that slight surface scratch at 12:00, the photo shows it worse than it actually is.

Oh and the Christopher Ward has a absolutely huge box.

I had the same situation and bought an Omega Seamaster. As said already, I wouldn't buy it as an investment because you don't know which way it will go. My starting point was wanting a Swiss automatic watch that I can pass on one day, and I settled on the omega after a few months of looking around

As a watch collector with about 50 in my collection I would definitely advise against buying one with the expectation that it will rise in value.
If you want a nice watch, buy the best you can afford and you like the most, enjoy it and don't worry about the value.
Who knows, you might be lucky...

Cheers guys, that's what I thought. I probably don't have enough money to get something like a seamaster. So will choose a nice watch that I like and will wear

greyhounddad said:
Cheers guys, that's what I thought. I probably don't have enough money to get something like a seamaster. So will choose a nice watch that I like and will wear

In that case take a look at the Hamilton range. I know that prices for new Omegas have been steadily increasing, but you might find another model that is less expensive than the Seamaster range. But you must buy on the basis of a watch that suits your needs and that you'll wear; as has been said, buying as an investment is a chumps game.

Ian D said:

Christopher Ward are now using Sellita movements - the same as Oris and are based on the ETA movements which have now come out of their patents like the 2824 and are just as reliable.

Griffo said:
Ian D said:

Christopher Ward are now using Sellita movements - the same as Oris and are based on the ETA movements which have now come out of their patents like the 2824 and are just as reliable.
I stand corrected.

Saw this one today http://www.fossil.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=32553&langId=10&catalogId=25005&partNumber=LE1034P&cm_vc=PDPZ2 I liked it but still unsure

Back
Top Bottom