Warming my razor before stroping

My recent outing with my rolls razor has got me thinking,I heated up the blade with my hand ( untill all the cold went away from the blade ) and then stroped the blade I noticed the blade was very sharp and pased the hanging heir test first time,previously it did not pass first time. The shave was exalent . I was wondering would heating the blade, (blade still closed for safty) on my straght razor,and then stroping make any difrernce?:icon_question:

I don't think there is any metallurgical reason why it should make a difference but it may be the grease from your hands made the blades travel across the strop lighter.

This may well be complete and utter bullshit, but the old barber that showed me how to use a strop told me to always strop the blade at the same temperature you would shave with it. His reasoning was that with heat the metal obviously expands and changes shape a little, so if you strop when cold and then warm it in hot water for shaving, the blade will have changed shape and size ever so slightly. Being an engineer I can see what he was getting at but really don't know if it would make that much of a difference. I never really experimented with the theory to be honest, but maybe something one of you more experienced guys could put to the test?

daz

The trouble with my house is its cold when the heating is off and my razors turn cold as does my strop things are better in the summer time when things get warmer... but as a final insult that summer heat dries my strop out :mad:. The joys of living in a council house

I will confess to popping my razor in my shirt pocket and now I am thinking about moving my strop down stairs ( when the kids go to school .)

But my main concern is the two flea ridden cats that the wife insisted we
have...and cats love nothing more to claw things hanging around, my super leather strop don't want these fur balls to attack it........ Out with the .22?

Back
Top Bottom