Vote for your best artisan

I'm loving everything I've gotten from Stirling Soaps.
Mystic Waters are first rate too.

Good sample availability and overall great price/service from both.
They are both north American artisan soap makers.
~

1. MdC - original, scented (which I DO count as artisan)
On performance I can't separate TikiBar Set Sail, Wickham Super Smooth English lavender, Le Pere Lucien (scented) and Nanny's Signature bamboo and grape. LPL wins on scent, so
2. Le Pere Lucien

These are my top three based on scent and performance the MDC being the only true soap of the bunch both the Iatalians are croaps they all smell wonderful but very different scents and I wouldn't say anyone of them out performs the other.

MDC Fugere
Boellis Panama 1924
Tcheon Fung Sing Bergamot & Neroli

Nishy said:
Wickhams is the most popular! Can anyone differentiate between the super-smooth and tiki/crsw?

Probably because until recently American artisans were hard to come by. Shaving Station have somewhat resolved that issue. Also its nice to support Darren as a UK based retailer.

For me, both Tiki and CRSW outperform Wickhams. That of course is my personal opinion!

I've tried a few US-made artisanal soaps and I avoid all of them now for the same reason.

This thread has seen many praised for their interesting and strong scents but I believe there is a reason, and a good one, for European limits on the amount and type of scent compounds in soap. I am not particularly sensitive of skin but I have had a reaction to a couple of US-made soaps which I would characterise as strongly scented.

I think there is too much scent in many of these soaps and while it is lovely, one can pay a price for it.

I have settled (pretty much) on Otoko which is faint-scented and isn't really a soap at all. I just mention this in passing as it is off topic for this thread.

There are a lot more heavy scents in the US soaps, probably more then the EU would allow from a European manufacturer.

I recently tried Mondial Bergomato and Neroli, and found it to be just superb, great lather, really easy to create, nice slick lather and excellent skin care. the scent was superb, lovely fresh, felt like I was in a sunny Italian garden but sublte with it.

As far as I now the Mondial soaps are made by TFS, who make most of the RazoRock soaps and also the Barbiere Di Feigaro soaps as well so are these guys really artisan?

I also find seeing Alverez Gomez on the list, who are a big Spanish perfurmier so is their cream really artisan made?

I've enjoyed a lot of the US soaps I've tried, in fact only HTGAM has been very nasty to my skin, but I do wonder what some of us mean by artisan. How is MDC NOT artisan to some but soaps by RazoRock, made by a major soap manufacturer in Italy be artisan?

Do we sometimes get carried along by a guys who really want us to think they are artisan or is it just internet perception by the buyers that make us decide these things?

Is MWF really mass manufactured or just made in big enough numbers and popular in the shaving world because it's been going for so damn long.

I'd also be interested if some of these US soaps actually got through an EU regulation test.

Sorry but I'm just bored and playing a little bit of devil's advocate here.

globalm said:
This thread has seen many praised for their interesting and strong scents but I believe there is a reason, and a good one, for European limits on the amount and type of scent compounds in soap. I am not particularly sensitive of skin but I have had a reaction to a couple of US-made soaps which I would characterise as strongly scented.

And I have very little issues with American soaps yet one of Darren's gave me a reaction (Itchy tingly skin) and I know that I'm not the only person to have experienced such things.

Go figure.

Griffo said:
There are a lot more heavy scents in the US soaps, probably more then the EU would allow from a European manufacturer.

I recently tried Mondial Bergomato and Neroli, and found it to be just superb, great lather, really easy to create, nice slick lather and excellent skin care. the scent was superb, lovely fresh, felt like I was in a sunny Italian garden but sublte with it.

As far as I now the Mondial soaps are made by TFS, who make most of the RazoRock soaps and also the Barbiere Di Feigaro soaps as well so are these guys really artisan?

I also find seeing Alverez Gomez on the list, who are a big Spanish perfurmier so is their cream really artisan made?

I've enjoyed a lot of the US soaps I've tried, in fact only HTGAM has been very nasty to my skin, but I do wonder what some of us mean by artisan. How is MDC NOT artisan to some but soaps by RazoRock, made by a major soap manufacturer in Italy be artisan?

Do we sometimes get carried along by a guys who really want us to think they are artisan or is it just internet perception by the buyers that make us decide these things?

Is MWF really mass manufactured or just made in big enough numbers and popular in the shaving world because it's been going for so damn long.

I'd also be interested if some of these US soaps actually got through an EU regulation test.

Sorry but I'm just bored and playing a little bit of devil's advocate here.
I do agree with the statement regarding 'relaxed laws', however as always YMMV I guess as I've found D. R. Harris, TOBS amongst other british artisans to leave my skin drier or worse off.

Nishy said:
I do agree with the statement regarding 'relaxed laws', however as always YMMV I guess as I've found D. R. Harris, TOBS amongst other british artisans to leave my skin drier or worse off.

I agree. Soap Commander and Dapper Dragon both leave my skin feeling perfect so are they really that bad? As mentioned just playing a little bit of Devil's advocate here.

Personally I like the fact that some of these guys are listening to what the customers want and giving them it.

I think Soap Commander, in particular, has a great lather, great skin care and the whole packaging is well thought out and actually useful - damn sight easier loading from their big tubs than the tiny tubs Cella comes in. A lot better than a lot of soapmakers out there.

I'll go to a company like Fitjar - In Normay, produced a great soap but mine contains SLS - so probably a mixed reception in the EU nations. they needed to do the EU regulation but decided to call it a day and NOT go through with it. It makes you wonder why as their soap was very good but obviously it makes you wonder why they didn't feel they should spend the money and get EU certification. would it really have cost them anymore than a small company such as Wickham? Or am I just being too much of a conspiracy theorist?

I don't buy from US soapers because it doesn't sit right with me. If they and the third-party importers didn't circumvent the EU regulations that EU-based soapmakers have to pay for and abide by, I'd be fine, but they don't play ball. I find that slightly unethical and definitely unfair on the likes of Darron, Manuel, Sharon etc.

Burgundy said:
I don't buy from US soapers because it doesn't sit right with me. If they and the third-party importers didn't circumvent the EU regulations that EU-based soapmakers have to pay for and abide by, I'd be fine, but they don't play ball. I find that slightly unethical and definitely unfair on the likes of Darron, Manuel, Sharon etc.

I find the notion that only select US soaps are good enough fairly amusing - especially since Wickham and JabonMan have been flavours of the month on the US-centric forums/groups in the recent past - but if there really is no alternative...
Fair play I admire your ethics, im not so concerned about ethics when it comes to shave soaps to be honest, but I do feel empathy towards those who are restricted.

Back
Top Bottom