Vote for your best artisan

tumblr_mmcwbufLmC1r5xzspo1_400.jpg

;)

fly3k said:
Ah see but I have a rocket! My point is there are too many barmy laws EU companies have to abide by these days. Would the good vintage soaps pass these tests?
I don't think that matters? Despite its merits, current EU-based makers have to be compliant and so are unfortunately disadvantaged by those importing (large quantities to sell) who don't bother to comply. Sorry for the dickhead-ish img, by the way.

As an interesting aside, I'll be going to New York at Easter and will happily buy a couple of US artisanal soaps/aftershave should the mood take me. I hope that sort of illustrates where I'm coming from on this one.

When I was young, a child could be taken into the local shoe shop and have his feet x-rayed. This could be repeated as often as his parents would allow. At school, we boiled mercury in test tubes sealed with asbestos fibre and sniffed trichloro-ethylene just for fun. I wonder if, on average, EU regulations haven't improved lives even for those deeply wedded to the curvature of their bananas. "Would vintage soaps pass this test"? Should they? I don't know, because I don't know what's in them.

Burgundy said:
fly3k said:
Ah see but I have a rocket! My point is there are too many barmy laws EU companies have to abide by these days. Would the good vintage soaps pass these tests?
I don't think that matters? Despite its merits, current EU-based makers have to be compliant and so are unfortunately disadvantaged by those importing (large quantities to sell) who don't bother to comply. Sorry for the dickhead-ish img, by the way.

As an interesting aside, I'll be going to New York at Easter and will happily buy a couple of US artisanal soaps/aftershave should the mood take me. I hope that sort of illustrates where I'm coming from on this one.

No worries, and I feel for the poor EU soap makers toeing the line of the law. I do quite like that the importers are making life easier for those that do want to try some of these soaps without the high shipping charges. I think of them as loveable moonshine runners :D

Had a chance to try out many artisan soaps this month and have managed to sort of list them in preference obviously ymmv:

Best to worst: (performance)

Tiki DVL and captain
Sterling MITA amd glacial
Caties bubbles LPV
CRSW sandalwood and puro fresco
RR XXX

Worst perfomance (XXX) is on the same level as say proraso or cella so by no means poor. TIKI lather up better than tabac and MWF.

Best scent:

CRSW sandalwood (brilliant match to Guerlian Ideal or encre noire)
Sterling MITA
Tiki the captain
Tiki DJL (weirdly I get notes similar to my mums lipstick back in the day)
Caties bubbles lpv (old spice, one million or turkish tobacco cologne go well with this)
Razorock xxx
CRSW puro fresco
Sterling glacial (just menthol)

I wasnt blown away by the puro fresco, the sandalwood is incredible with strong notes of vetiver, but sterling MITA smells amazing along with the captain.

globalm said:
When I was young, a child could be taken into the local shoe shop and have his feet x-rayed. This could be repeated as often as his parents would allow. At school, we boiled mercury in test tubes sealed with asbestos fibre and sniffed trichloro-ethylene just for fun.

I remember those machines. Bad as they were for the customers, the exposure was worse for the people working there.

Speaking of mercury, I have a cute little story. When as a kid going to my dentist, he would have some toys to choose from his 'Treasure Chest' if you didn't bite him, puke, or faint during the visit. Screaming was frowned on, but tolerated. For me he had a special treat.

Instead of a crummy plastic thing, he would give me a small bottle filled with a few ounces of mercury to play with when I got home. I would pour it in my hand and cover a dime with it. After it being in contact with the mercury by me rubbing it around for a while, the silver would get real shiny. Plus that stuff was sooo heavy in a wonderful way. Eventually it would get dropped in the shag carpet and lost and that would be that till the next visit. It was lots of fun for a 11-12 year old!!! Hah, when you drop some on a hard surface like a wood floor, all those tiny little beads of silver. Just like that Terminator version when you push em together again into one big drop.

Obviously, back then mercury wasn't deadly. Now it can be the cause of some major chemical spill contaminant nastiness. Crazy how that works......

Martin

TIKI DJL: Really enjoying how the rose scent develops throughout the shave a very conplex bouquet. Also get hints of an indian mouth freshner called paan?!

dodgy said:
globalm said:
When I was young, a child could be taken into the local shoe shop and have his feet x-rayed. This could be repeated as often as his parents would allow. At school, we boiled mercury in test tubes sealed with asbestos fibre and sniffed trichloro-ethylene just for fun.

I remember those machines. Bad as they were for the customers, the exposure was worse for the people working there.

Speaking of mercury, I have a cute little story. When as a kid going to my dentist, he would have some toys to choose from his 'Treasure Chest' if you didn't bite him, puke, or faint during the visit. Screaming was frowned on, but tolerated. For me he had a special treat.

Instead of a crummy plastic thing, he would give me a small bottle filled with a few ounces of mercury to play with when I got home. I would pour it in my hand and cover a dime with it. After it being in contact with the mercury by me rubbing it around for a while, the silver would get real shiny. Plus that stuff was sooo heavy in a wonderful way. Eventually it would get dropped in the shag carpet and lost and that would be that till the next visit. It was lots of fun for a 11-12 year old!!! Hah, when you drop some on a hard surface like a wood floor, all those tiny little beads of silver. Just like that Terminator version when you push em together again into one big drop.

Obviously, back then mercury wasn't deadly. Now it can be the cause of some major chemical spill contaminant nastiness. Crazy how that works......

Martin

:icon_biggrin: Those were the days

Burgundy said:
I don't buy from US soapers because it doesn't sit right with me. If they and the third-party importers didn't circumvent the EU regulations that EU-based soapmakers have to pay for and abide by, I'd be fine, but they don't play ball. I find that slightly unethical and definitely unfair on the likes of Darron, Manuel, Sharon etc.

Similar view here. I'd hate to see quality producers on this side of the pond going out of business due to the recent mushrooming of competition from the States.

Back
Top Bottom