"Vintage" (W. Germany) Merkur Futur - couple of questions

This morning, while having some coffee and planning the day ahead, I picked up a vintage NOS/NIB Merkur Futur.

Its stamped "W. Germany" and the assumption and is apparently made 1984-89.
I've never really been 'into' Merkur as a brand but have always liked the visuals of the Futur/Vision razors so when this came up for sale as NIB/NOS w/ all papers, box, etc for $55/GBP 37.50 I thought it sounded like a fair price.

Quick couple of questions as I'm not very Merkur savvy;
a) Did I overpay or is it a fair price? (Reason for asking is in case I hate it - can I sell it for the same)?, and

b) Were there any design changes between these early 80's Futur razors and the later ones?, and

c) What are these 80's models made out of (internals and outer handle)?

Thanks in advance

Some pics;
1o4ps9.jpg

ogz24h.jpg

16ib4lv.jpg

qntj01.jpg

20ur91e.jpg

Since Connaughts are selling the chrome for around the same price I don't believe you were stiffed on cost DB. i'd guess though that any enhanced value would only be if a buyer wanted a Futur from that particular era for some reason.

JohnnyO. o/

Since Connaughts are selling the chrome for around the same price I don't believe you were stiffed on cost DB. i'd guess though that any enhanced value would only be if a buyer wanted a Futur from that particular era for some reason.

JohnnyO. o/

Good to hear. So if I hate it I might break even.
Will be interesting to see how it shaves.

Btw, I read that Merkur filed the patent for the Futur in 1983 - way earlier than I thought (I've always thought the Futur was just 10ish years old or so for some reason). I assume, taking a rough 20 year patent expiration into consideration, that explains why there are so many identical clones being sold these days.

Fair price for a vintage one DB, the design is really unique, I mean how many DE razors strive to be innovative like in the cart world?

Made of pot metal and by looking at yours plus the instructions it's looking like the design and operation is the same as current production.

Shame they don't make it in black matte like the clonemasters from the PRC.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Greetings

I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong but I think the razor is unchanged in materials and design, I have heard compelling arguments that the plating and pre-plating finishing was better or more thorough then than now but that's about it.

Regards
Dick

Thanks for the reminder! Where is mine?

My guess is somewhere in that bathroom of yours :)
Do you like yours? I'm really curious to try it out next week. I hear you should be real careful loading the blade in it as there's a chance of cutting yourself due to the design.

Do you like yours? I'm really curious to try it out next week. I hear you should be real careful loading the blade in it as there's a chance of cutting yourself due to the design.
Ya OK As long as you do it before the shave with dry hands.

Last edited:
Actually, somewhere in China - maybe a foundry, or the factory, warehouse, airport - who knows. For once, not me! Thirty-three days of buyer protection left, I'm told. Diarised at twenty-eight days. (Diarised - yeuk, but it works, goddammit!)

Back
Top Bottom