Vintage Soligen in blonde horn

I've made a few sets of these scales using horn blanks, small sheets of this size 160mm X 60mm X 4mm, horn is not as easy as wood to work, and sometimes can be a complete pain in the arse. developing hairline splits and little voids and you cannot tell until you start to work it, but sometimes your patience will be rewarded for your efforts, this is a razor i just finished using blonde horn.I've had this Vintage razor sometime it's always been a lovely shaver, she came with the original scales which were a butter scotch celluloid nothing to write home about, so i ordered a nice sheet of blonde horn, well i've finally finished, i also made the wedge from the horn, then doubled up on the back washers but left the pivot as a single washer on the front, it seemed to add to the overall look of the razor.

Jamie.

001-10.jpg

002-13.jpg

004-8.jpg

003-11.jpg

Fantastic looks Jamie. I find horn is a bit easier to use than wood as you can get a great finish with wet and dry and, so far, I have not had any problems with hairline cracks. I find that the beauty is that you don't know exactly what grain and stiation you will find.

I also like that Rob, you never quite know how the grain or pattern will finally end up that's a good thing nice little surprise at the end, by the way Rob how's your drum sander? have you managed to give it a run out.

Jamie.

UKRob said:
Fantastic looks Jamie. I find horn is a bit easier to use than wood as you can get a great finish with wet and dry and, so far, I have not had any problems with hairline cracks. I find that the beauty is that you don't know exactly what grain and stiation you will find.

Hi Jamie. I've not yet had time to use the drum sander although it's all set up on a pedestal drill. Holidays and other things at week-ends are keeping me away from the workroom although, like you, I have a selection of blond horn blanks available for the right blades.

I don't know whether it's the time of year but I'm struggling to get decent blades on Ebay at the moment - either too expensive or just bog standard. I've lost out on quite a few (including a couple of nice Kropps) because prices have gone up.

I think you are one of the problems - people look at the kind of work you produce above and decide they are going to give it a go themselves - just like me in fact!!!

Thanks Rick, Carl and Derrick, Hi Rob i think you are spot on regarding the razors on Ebay, i have definitely seen a price increase, i myself haven't won a razor in a long time, maybe a good thing in the long run perhaps a resurgence in straight razor shaving maybe on the cards? PS when you do get the drum up and running i would like to know how you get on Rob, post your results, also i posted your blades off on saturday.

Jamie.

Threadjacking slightly, are any of you skilled artists interested in rescaling old but decent (unspecial) blades which have uninteresting scales? I seem to remember you, Jamie, saying it was more trouble than it was worth for you somewhere.

Equally, there's something appropriate about an unshowy Sheffield blade in plain black scales too, I suppose

Back
Top Bottom