Vintage Razor Handles

Hi
Just joined, based in Harrow. We have a machining work shop and expertise to make Razor Handles. I am enquiring whether anyone is interested in having a particular handle made - we work with most metals including copper, brass and steel.
I thought may be there might be an interest in a vintage handle that is not manufactured any more!

Kind Regards

Hi, welcome to the forum. :)

There isn't usually much appetite for replica's of the vintage handles as there are plenty around, but modern handles well made are often sought after.

Have a look here for some inspiration of some of the finest custom handles currently being made.

http://uforazorhandles.blogspot.co.uk/

Gravy said:
Hi, Welcome to TSR!

A replacement Stainless Steel knob for a Merkur Progress would be good. I dont think anyone in the UK currently makes them (only US).

Hi Gravy
Many thanks for your suggestion. Do you have any images of the stainless steel Knob?

welcome!

there seems to be quite an interest in custom handles so if you have the eye for it you will indeed find buyers.

so far i've resisted custom handles but never say never!

rakhara said:
Gravy said:
Hi, Welcome to TSR!

A replacement Stainless Steel knob for a Merkur Progress would be good. I dont think anyone in the UK currently makes them (only US).

Hi Gravy
Many thanks for your suggestion. Do you have any images of the stainless steel Knob?

I'm not sure what he makes them out of, but they call the razor a Merkur Mergress when it's all metal, he does a couple of versions.

There are loads of pics if you google mergress :cool:

The razor is a 3 piece with the plastic knob being part of the bottom section.

rakhara said:
Gravy said:
Hi, Welcome to TSR!

Hi Gravy

First, Welcome to the Forum,

http://www.leesrazors.com/categories/Razors-and-Blades/Safety-Razors/Mergress-Safety-Razors/

Above is a link to the (Mergress) safety razor. It is basically a modified Merkur Progress.

The plastic knob at the bottom is not to everyone's taste, it is however part of the whole base.

The top plate slots in (only one way notch on top plate to triangle on base plate)

The threaded portion (male thread) travels through centre of handle, to a threaded (female) portion which has a wasted part for a split, spring steel washer to retain it in the handle, and the base of this piece includes engraved numbers and the plastic knob.

Not Only is this whole peice replaced with an item with a machined knob, it has to be calibrated to ensure when tightened fully, it can be "backed off" so that the numbers line up with the dot on the handle, and said numbers reflect the blade gap (and so aggression of razor) accurately.

Not a tall order! Take into account that the prices quoted in States include the new pre mod razor which currently retails at £43 and modded one is £75 plus delivery....... For short version.

If you could offer this service for £30 ish, I would be interested....

Is it viable?

Cyril

flip-68 said:
welcome!

there seems to be quite an interest in custom handles so if you have the eye for it you will indeed find buyers.

so far i've resisted custom handles but never say never!

Hi
Any images of of razor handles that have really impressed you guys would be helpfull. ufo razor handles, who are based in Italy, make well crafted handles. But we want to stamp ' Made in Britain' on the handle. It's time high quality and well engineered products were made here, as they were in places like Sheffield.

Back
Top Bottom