Vintage DE advice/suggestions

Aftermarket handle of your choice with Tech head/baseplate = perfection. Trust me, I am a professional and use that combo for 95% of my shaves. :geek:

LBXROBT.jpg

Well dropped the handle off my parker semi slant on the tech, worked well being a bit longer but not too heavy. As good as it was it almost feels wrong to put a modern handle on a vintage razor, its my excuse for finding another vintage razor to have a go with anyway....

Last edited:
That's what I thought. If I was to make a handle from scratch it would be no big deal to tap it 10/32 to suit the Gillette. If I ever get time there are bucket loads of bolts in work and a lathe to have mess about on.
A custom handle might work. Years ago I was smitten with the Fat Handle Tech and its handle, loved the weight. A guy on one of the forums turned a handle for me with the diameter of the Fat Handle Tech but longer length. I've used it for many years now and it works fine. Chief con is it can make the head feel unbalanced like you are shaving with a magic wand. lol But overall, its good.IMG_E1453.JPG

A custom handle might work. Years ago I was smitten with the Fat Handle Tech and its handle, loved the weight. A guy on one of the forums turned a handle for me with the diameter of the Fat Handle Tech but longer length. I've used it for many years now and it works fine. Chief con is it can make the head feel unbalanced like you are shaving with a magic wand. lol But overall, its good.View attachment 96777
Very nice indeed.

A custom handle might work. Years ago I was smitten with the Fat Handle Tech and its handle, loved the weight. A guy on one of the forums turned a handle for me with the diameter of the Fat Handle Tech but longer length. I've used it for many years now and it works fine. Chief con is it can make the head feel unbalanced like you are shaving with a magic wand. lol But overall, its good.View attachment 96777

Looks the just the job that, gives me something to have a think about. I put the king c handle on it and just felt wrong as soon as a picked it up. I think maybe it was more the length as apposed to the weight.

I actually think I'll try and get a fat handled tech as my next purchase and see how that goes. Unless anyone fancies trading one for my semi slant...

Been an interesting learning curve, particularly with the vintage razors but they do have an appeal to me new razors just cant match

Looks the just the job that, gives me something to have a think about. I put the king c handle on it and just felt wrong as soon as a picked it up. I think maybe it was more the length as apposed to the weight.

I actually think I'll try and get a fat handled tech as my next purchase and see how that goes. Unless anyone fancies trading one for my semi slant...

Been an interesting learning curve, particularly with the vintage razors but they do have an appeal to me new razors just cant match
I was surprised how light the fat handled tech actually feels, no surprise really as the handle is hollow.

I was surprised how light the fat handled tech actually feels, no surprise really as the handle is hollow.

Well I guess I bet get used to using a lighter razor then, I am starting to think it's more the handle size than weight of the razor.

It may not help my other go to razors are the king c and pearl blaze, both quite weighty and long handles conparwd to the tech.

All part of the fun

Had a nose around for a few options today, as this thread shows the list is ever growing! So far I have an eye on

Fat handled tech
Superspeed
Flair tip
New Standard open comb
Flare tip rocket

Think I'll just see what a few I like the look of sell for and take a punt at some point. Worse case it can look nice on the shelf

It got me thinking, is there a similar mild shaving vintage razor that is just physically a bit bigger/heavier?

If it's me I still go with a custom handle. Knurling, weight, diameter, length you can design into your handle. How the perfect pen or tool fits your hand just right you can put into your handle design. Instead of adjusting to what is available and won't really satisfy you design something that will work for you and is a pleasure for you to use. It will work with the mild razor heads you have and for cheap money you can buy different razor heads only, for different shaving experiences. On Etsy there are handle sellers, its child play to contact them and have them make the handle you designed, no idea of cost.

A handle and vintage razors aren't mutually exclusive. RAD infects everyone and you won't stop buying razors even if you have a handle you like. You stop buying razors only when you lose interest in them. lol

Back
Top Bottom