Vintage Coticules Better then the New ones??

Great info in this thread! I usually finish on a '15k' natural stone, but was always curious as to the difference a 20k stone would make. Then I read my stropping (cotton/suede/cordovan) is the equivalent of an even higher grit!? So decided not to purchase it.

I always wince at honing stones posts, as I remember throwing a couple away when volunteering at Oxfam. I was only young but have never seen any hones like them. They sat in their own mahogany box, quite large probably a metre by half a metre, had the same colour as an angry rain cloud with a hint of blue and were shiny. Wonder what they were. I threw them in a skip, I'll never forgive myself.

Don't be too harsh on yourself, Nishy! I grew up in Sheffield in the 80's so imagine how many great razors I missed out on at car boot sales and the like when they weren't in fashion.

I tossed my Grandfather's Rolls Razor because I didn't know what it was, or how it worked. I was 12 at the time, but I still feel bad about that.

Not as bad as I felt when I dropped and shattered the blade of his minty Peter J. Michels C-Mon Special straight razor, but close.

Back
Top Bottom