Vauzy

Recently acquired French steel.
DSC03366.JPG

DSC03367.JPG

In 1751 a Louis Vauzy founded a cutleryfirm in Thiers, France. As most if not all cutlerers they also made razors. The firm stayed in the family for a long time, the logo and brandname as shown on this razor was deposited or renewed june 4, 1875 and granted to a Louis Vauzy. I suspect this to be a descendant, otherwise old Louis was rather old.
DSC03369.JPG

DSC03370.JPG

Sometime hereafter, Vauzy was acquired by Rousselon, later by Pral and they ended in possession of Vincent, itself a cutlerer founded in 1858 and maker of razors under literaly dozens of brandnames. I don't know when Vincent ceased to exist, but they were one of the great French razormakers.
DSC03371.JPG

DSC03373.JPG

It's a near wedge, over 7/8 at its widest point, with horn scales and a bone wedge. Judging from the state of the scales I doubt they've been on this razor for the full 130-140 years that I estimate it is old, but the pinning suggests that they're not thát new either.
I honed the razor this afternoon, and it will get a taste of my whiskers tomorrow evening. Looking forward to it.
DSC03365.JPG

Love old French razors. Most of mine are framebacks, but once they are properly honed, they shave very nicely. That is a handsome old blade. Let us know how the shave went.

Have some old French framebacks as well, of which I've used one: a Le Grelot "Coupe Celeste". Marvelous blade, terrific shave. Now that I've learned how to hone framebacks the other few will follow. Shaved with a LeCoultre frameback with exchangeable blades as well, but that's Swiss :)
French steel however is terrific. Had my first straight shave with a Rameau, and my favorite straight is a Kabrand 486.

Have some old French framebacks as well, of which I've used one: a Le Grelot "Coupe Celeste". Marvelous blade, terrific shave. Now that I've learned how to hone framebacks the other few will follow. Shaved with a LeCoultre frameback with exchangeable blades as well, but that's Swiss :)
French steel however is terrific. Had my first straight shave with a Rameau, and my favorite straight is a Kabrand 486.
How do you hone framebacks? I have two and Jamie honed them for me and he done a great job, however I am using them and in near future they will need honing, so any tips and suggestions appreciated

Honing a frameback is no different to any other razor with a smiling blade - rolling strokes are required so that all of the bevel is honed. If you just use a non rolling stroke you will eventally hone a flat into the blade.

This razor shaves great. Despite the fact that it's heavier than most of my other razors it handles perfectly well and grazes beard in near-silence. Very happy.

Recently acquired French steel.
DSC03366.JPG

DSC03367.JPG

In 1751 a Louis Vauzy founded a cutleryfirm in Thiers, France. As most if not all cutlerers they also made razors. The firm stayed in the family for a long time, the logo and brandname as shown on this razor was deposited or renewed june 4, 1875 and granted to a Louis Vauzy. I suspect this to be a descendant, otherwise old Louis was rather old.
DSC03369.JPG

DSC03370.JPG

Sometime hereafter, Vauzy was acquired by Rousselon, later by Pral and they ended in possession of Vincent, itself a cutlerer founded in 1858 and maker of razors under literaly dozens of brandnames. I don't know when Vincent ceased to exist, but they were one of the great French razormakers.
DSC03371.JPG

DSC03373.JPG

It's a near wedge, over 7/8 at its widest point, with horn scales and a bone wedge. Judging from the state of the scales I doubt they've been on this razor for the full 130-140 years that I estimate it is old, but the pinning suggests that they're not thát new either.
I honed the razor this afternoon, and it will get a taste of my whiskers tomorrow evening. Looking forward to it.
DSC03365.JPG

Nice no nonsense razor

What also helps is either a narrow hone or just using a narrow part of your hone.
I also used to think this - but someone proved me wrong. You can take a normal sized hone and draw a pencil line along the length denoting that part of the hone that you want to use. Then use a rolling stroke - restricting yourself to the marked area - you will see that the rest of the hone does not interfere at all.

@UKRob: that was what I meant with the second part of my sentence: use a narrow part of your hone. You described the pencil-line-method before on this forum, that's where I learnt this. In case I didn't thank you then: thanks! Made my life a lot easier :)

Back
Top Bottom