Valuation needed (gilette 77 Brand new)

I have a brand new gilette 77. Its head is still wrapped in the original plastic and it comes with the bakelite case:

430226_10151999669650594_1090441164_a.jpg

557304_10151999674010594_784263564_n.jpg

Having a hard time finding out what this might be worth. Saw a few on badger and blade sell for about the $70-80 mark, and one being sold as an old model re-plated for £50 by http://www.safetyrazors.co.uk/gillette-english-model-77-open-comb-new-type-1933/

I'd imagine this being brand new and totally unused, should have some value over a replated model, but I may be wrong.

Would appreciate the thoughts of any experts here

Steve: you cheap goat... I offer a tenner and one Gillette Platinum (Ì know the later is a massive increment, compared with the Jewel blades, but I stand by it) :D :D :D

I've been tracking #77's on ebay over the last few months and it's difficult to predict a clear value.

Whilst the rarer ones will sell for big money (especially notched head and green bakelite case models), I've paid £25 for a #77 which is almost NOS and looks to have been used no more than once or twice and £18 for a near mint example, yet have sold some mint / near mint examples for up to £55.

I've sent you a PM detailing my thoughts.

i was talking to a bloke in a bar in carlisle
we got talking about shaving and he uses jewels in his shavette
said "they gave him a great shave "
his grandad gave him 500 blades when he retired from being a barber
being using them for years !!!!
and he could give me a tuck to try
i politely declined

any the 77 set ,depends how many people want it and are you will to post abroad
if 2 people from the states want it it could go as high as £60-£70
just make sure you use tracked or signed for postage if its going abroad
which can be expensive

ajc347 said:
I've been tracking #77's on ebay over the last few months and it's difficult to predict a clear value.

Whilst the rarer ones will sell for big money (especially notched head and green bakelite case models), I've paid £25 for a #77 which is almost NOS and looks to have been used no more than once or twice and £18 for a near mint example, yet have sold some mint / near mint examples for up to £55.

I've sent you a PM detailing my thoughts.

I'm with AJC on this one, I have 2 one in a brown bakelite case and one in a green bakelite case (with most of the shipper) and didn't pay top dollar for either. But the razor is worth what the market will stand. But I am guessing you will get more money for it from a buyer over the pond, if you want the hassle of shipping it.
Other than that ask what you think is fair to you and see if it sells?
As a NOS razor you should get a good price for it, as a collector I try to buy the best I can and you cannot get better than NOS and most other collectors think the same.
A very nice looking razor BTW.
I will be interested to see how this works out for you.

On the subject of the re-plated one as the seller is doing it for a business then they tend to ask more than a normal seller, that is not meant to say that your razor is worth less. But I am sure if they were selling your razor the price would be higher?

I would suggest around the £50 mark, picking up a few things from around here and over the pond there is very little unused stuff around.

Is it worth more then a replated version, not to me, as the replated version will (should) have been stripped back so it makes no difference. But to a collector that is a totally different proposition!

Back
Top Bottom