Uses for Thayers (Witch Hazel)

Johnny Beeblebrox

Supporter
Supporter
One of my American colleagues gave me a bottle of Thayers Witch Hazel swearing by it.
I believe it's a well regarded brand in the shaving community.

My question is - when and how to use it?
My minimal research suggests dabbing it on face with cotton ball after shaving? Removes remnants of lather? Then one can apply balm or aftershave?
Or have I got it all horribly wrong?

A lot of this skin care info a tad new to me... :unsure:

Attachments

• Thayers.jpg
    Thayers.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Just to clarify for my pea sized brain.
It's used instead of balm/aftershave rather than, as I thought, a precursor?
Or can I use the Thayers then follow up with, say, a Proraso balm...?
As @hotmetal said it's an astringent which can be used as an aftershave lotion. Depending on your skin type you can just use it as a aftershave, but with the colder months now approaching an application of your Proraso balm will put moisture back into your skin and protect it from the cold elements. The application of both will be beneficial to your skin.

It is an astringent to clean and tone the skin after shaving, as an alternative to aftershave lotion, and being without alcohol, avoids 'the burn' which some love and others hate.

I largely use both.

Once I have finished my shave and dried my face, I rub a few sprays of witch hazel into my face, then do the same with a few splashes of aftershave.

If my face is feeling especially dry or if I had a bad shave and needed to use the alum block to close up a weeper or two, I will replace the witch hazel with some balm.

I just used it after evening shave.
Applied using a cotton ball.
Once it dried off I used a bit of Nivea moisturiser.
Bit of an odd (or should I say different) product. My face feels distinctly "matte" and slightly tight?
Not unpleasant just...well...different...
As per comments may well hold off with this until warmer weather and stick to the moisturisers.
Firk, how far have I travelled? - If a 20yr old me could have seen me writing that last sentence!

Thanks for all the tips chaps. (y)

That powdery tautness is what some folks (like me) particularly seek from an apres-shave product. Through the summer, I often use neat witch hazel (which is a damn sight cheaper than Thayers ... and you can make a rose scented one by mixing 50/50 with rose water) straight after washing the soap off and patting dry ... and then an aftershave splash, often another application a few minutes later.

...There isn’t a tonne of information available about the key benefits of using Witch Hazel as apart of a skincare regiment but a general consensus will tell us that the presence of tannins in the witch hazel will result in dry and irritated skin...

believe it's a well regarded brand in the shaving community.

True, Thayer's is highly regarded among American wet shavers and has been for many years. The beauty of Thayer's is how it soothes irritated skin and calms shaven skin as opposed to the alcohol in aftershave. You apply just like aftershave, just splash it on generously with your hands. You can apply balm after if you like.

I also have and use the exact same unscented Thayers witch hazel, Boots carry them these days. Excellent stuff! I use it as the folk above: as sterilizing astringent after the shave. I let it dry/soak for about a minute while I clean my gear, and then an aftershave splash, sometimes followed by a moisturizing balm.
But yea, it's not the cheapest, some people seem to use a 'homemade' witch hazel, meaning they buy a pure witch hazel extract, and then mix with some other ingredient, like rose water (for scent), or tea tree oil, or aloe.

Back
Top Bottom