Unusual, or maybe not Gillette tech, made in Brazil

I’ve been browsing eBay and spotted an auction that was nearing its end …. Gillette tech with ball end handle (which isn’t the correct one) but ignoring that - interesting model, made in Brazil. I’m waiting on it’s delivery so I didn’t compare it against any of my other ones. Picture below is from the seller.

Based on my limited research (very much so) it seems to be the only tech made in Brazil, at least according to mr razor site. https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/1950s Pedestal Brasil from Michael Preuss.jpg

Shame it doesn’t have the matching stand … it looks cool! And looks like it originally comes with chunky, fbt style handle too!
IMG_4911.png
IMG_4912.png

so you're the one who outbid me.
congratulations
Haha I was wondering whether it might be someone from the forum! I've set my max bid to £5 only!

It's real, but you didn't show the handle. Razors don't go in stands, they go in the medicine cabinet, unless it's a cordless electric, those go in the trash.
Yes I know! It was more of a play on words because I have no clue whether it was more of a rare one or not! I don't have that much space so normally rotation of 3-4 razors (couple DE, one GEM and one AC) are out at hand, and rest are resting in a storage box!

Here is picture of it with a handle that's on it

Picture 2 of 3

Regarding other razors, I did see some various other gillette's kicking around on posts made in Brazil, but just not really such tech! But then again I'm not scouring the internet too far haha

Haha I was wondering whether it might be someone from the forum! I've set my max bid to £5 only!

Yes I know! It was more of a play on words because I have no clue whether it was more of a rare one or not! I don't have that much space so normally rotation of 3-4 razors (couple DE, one GEM and one AC) are out at hand, and rest are resting in a storage box!

Here is picture of it with a handle that's on it

Picture 2 of 3

Regarding other razors, I did see some various other gillette's kicking around on posts made in Brazil, but just not really such tech! But then again I'm not scouring the internet too far haha
That's the correct handle, should be nickel plated brass, and probably the heaviest of the Tech handles.

It has arrived today! @TobyC looks like you were right, it’s quite a hefty handle for the tech! Feels good in hand though!

Thanks Paul @pjgh ! Here are some more pictures! I see no date codes on mine … however there is a strange ‘4’ next to patent number…. That is if it’s a 4 and not a scratch … seems much less noticeable than the 3 next to Argentina on yours!

IMG_4937.jpegIMG_4938.jpegIMG_4939.jpegIMG_4941.jpegIMG_4942.jpeg

Great find.

I've used an English counterpart, and find the all brass ball end Tech (with the solid bar on the top cap) to not be the smoothest Tech I own, but a little more efficient, and seems to work with more blades than most razors. A glorious razor. I hope you enjoy using yours.

Great find.

I've used an English counterpart, and find the all brass ball end Tech (with the solid bar on the top cap) to not be the smoothest Tech I own, but a little more efficient, and seems to work with more blades than most razors. A glorious razor. I hope you enjoy using yours.
I certainly will! Got FBT and one or two other tech's too so this will certainly be an interesting and enjoyable addition! FBT is my favourite so far... One day I hope to add both hybrid and psycho to collection... but that's for another time!

That does indeed look like an intentionally stamped "4" rather than a random scratch. On the other side might be a VERY faded letter ... you'll need a strong directed light and look at it from the side at all sorts of angles, hoping something catches the light.
I think it is 4 - this was already done under fairly strong directed portable light (6400k 100% on Aputure MC) - I'd place my bets on 4 anyway... I can always give it a go under microscope that I have too haha!

It has arrived today! @TobyC looks like you were right, it’s quite a hefty handle for the tech! Feels good in hand though!

Thanks Paul @pjgh ! Here are some more pictures! I see no date codes on mine … however there is a strange ‘4’ next to patent number…. That is if it’s a 4 and not a scratch … seems much less noticeable than the 3 next to Argentina on yours!

View attachment 105414View attachment 105415View attachment 105416View attachment 105417View attachment 105418
Either a 4 or a nose, I'm going with a 4.

Nor I ... not that I've been looking for them on these razors. Good eyes! Almost good enough for @Boycie83 to say you went "turbo nerd" here as well, but you lack my finesse with comparative tables and postulations.

What do we have here? U?J? and T?

What I do have is a plastic baseplate razor which has a Z on the end of the central post. I believe that one was German market but no indication where it was made. It's also a post-1962 top cap and my best guess is it's from the 1970s. These two South American are from the 1950s (we guess).

One mo' ...

AJFCJaXR6viH37xHBYik_chmZxzLVkuA-NF4yTowk--S-jQTFWE3ZHq1mfhG6GM7_TDnKiEIQam8iDBqXmrPHo3fPgbSERjF08jGGRi6WOLULNtO8vez9z8ra_moJRVdmk9eI5MZUijeDZX17lSpSmh9LwsKaQ=w800

AJFCJaWVtf8fOFd9zn2bh9RRE5YA1eS2BNW6Puxrsj8v-Q5tGYItWjIknE8JEubg3AiJfVR-YTNNHmMijeCqzkQzWZW2x7aOFuTg4UfxvVBFBqhv52H2ZFt5RWL4XphgM12dWLAIBacUxlSB64Y5p6a05_C28g=w800

Notice the odd handle, too. I think these were bundled with Kaloderma shaving cream.

... and a quick look through a few others (although I have done that before and thought my Z thread was unique), I have one that might have an S although it's likely my imagination. I do have an American gold wash which has a symbol. Initially, I thought it was an E, then a H or maybe an M ... but under handheld magnification it's more like [ o ] which I've had to space out to avoid it being interpreted as BBCode that the forum uses for formatting, so just imagine pair of square brackets with a dot in the middle.

Above, from the same era we might think T and U would confirm that ... and perhaps 25 years on, my Z from the 1970s might fit. But it's a mile off the established dating schema ... and my Argentine follows that American standard with the B3.

I clearly see a "J" and a "T", but they are surely just used for the manufacturing process, keeping track of dies so they can replace them before they get worn out. I don't remember seeing any on mine but I never looked for them either.

Back
Top Bottom