Unemployment beckons...

I finish my job this Thursday and it is going to be the first time that I have been unemployed since I left university in 1994.

I have been in contact with a few recruitment agencies and there would appear to be jobs in my line of work, so hopefully I should not be unemployed for too long.

I did have a quick look at what benefits I will be entitled to, but there would appear to be only the JSA.

So, it looks like I will have to take a trip up to the 'bru (did I spell that correctly? I am sure one of the local Scots will be able to tell me) at some point and sign on on Monday morning.

I too have been out of work now for 3 months. While it was great to have a little rest, I'm itching to get back into work.

I'm a part qualified accountant and normally get around 1-2 interviews a month, it's just waiting for my luck to change before I get offered a job!

I've still not claimed JSA but I think I may have to now as I thought I wouldn't be out of work this long!

Hope something turns up for you mate.

In my day when we attended the "burroo" (weegie for beaurau) it was optional to wear a flat cap & conceal the statutory off white string vest with a loosely tied "gruvatt". (weegie version of a cravat I believe).

With or without the Rab C attire, very best of luck m8.

JohnnyO.

In the England you need to call some central office to make an appointment. They will ask you lots questions and that will be the date your claim starts form. They will send you some forums that need to be filled in before your appointment. It can take a month or more before money does into you bank. So the sooner the better.

GOOD LUCK

You´ve got my sympathise! I´m hanging on a thin thread right now, it´s bad times allover, I guess. I´ll know in time for christmas though :shock: :evil:. Bastards :lol:

Adam are you leaving or is it the end of a contract or something?

I left my old job in September and I was unemployed for 5 weeks and started my new job today.

Hang in there mate. I did. The right thing came along eventuallyy.

Workplaces are looking for staff at the moment but it would seem like they are on the lookout for the "right" staff if you know what I mean.

andyjreid said:
Adam are you leaving or is it the end of a contract or something?

I left my old job in September and I was unemployed for 5 weeks and started my new job today.

Hang in there mate. I did. The right thing came along eventuallyy.

Workplaces are looking for staff at the moment but it would seem like they are on the lookout for the "right" staff if you know what I mean.

A compromise agreement Andy.

Essentially the work has finished up here and migrated down to Halifax. They said I could relocate, but no thanks as I much prefer it up here to West Yorkshire!

They were not going to offer full redundancy, but I got a reasonable package, enough to keep the wolf from the door for a wee while.

Looks like I may have to go contracting for a while until things settle down again.

I found out last week that my contract won't be renewed in January (I'm standing in for someone on parental leave)
The good thing is I'll be even more inclined to bugger off to Mexico now..

If I don't go, I've got a few ideas lined up, I'm fortunate enough to be in a line of work that is employing!

Feel for you guys, hopefully something better will turn up!

Cheers,

Max

Adam D said:
andyjreid said:
Adam D said:
A compromise agreement Andy.

That means you can sign on then?

I damn well hope so Andy!

Well basically are you resigning or are they making you redundant?

If it's classed as you resigning then you won't be able to sign on but, and this would seem more likely given the circumstances, if they are making you redundant then you can sign on straight away.

The reason for leaving is given as "mutual agreement" according to the copy of the compromise agreement that I have.

It is closer to a voluntary redundancy than me leaving I reckon.

However, I am not going to hold my breath when it comes to claiming :(

The moment you lose your employment you should claim JSA immediately, even if you're not entitled to it, because it will still pay your NI Stamp at the least, otherwise when it comes to claim your pension there will be a break in your contributions.

Professor Blighty said:
The moment you lose your employment you should claim JSA immediately, even if you're not entitled to it, because it will still pay your NI Stamp at the least, otherwise when it comes to claim your pension there will be a break in your contributions.

Thanks Prof!

I am hoping that I will not be unemployed for too long as I have found out this morning that I have an interview next week!

Hopefully it will be the first of a few and then I can choose what I want to do next rather than be foreced into something that does not tick all of my boxes.

Back
Top Bottom