Ugly shavers

Do you have a favourite razor that you would be reluctant to show in public? I've tended to collect ropey old specimens over the years (cheapskate) and I've rarely failed to get even the worst shaving, often after much scrubbing with wet and dry. Many will never be beauties, but shave really well.
Here is a cheap Sheffield frameback with a pressed steel frame. A complete mess to look at but a magnificent shaver. Followed by a 8/8 Kaufman hollow ground that was so corroded it took me nigh on a year of sanding and polishing to get it ready to hone. Still badly marked in places but shaves like a dream.

Show us your ugly blades!

uploadfromtaptalk1443552111723.jpguploadfromtaptalk1443552328743.jpg

I have a few ugly Japanese razors they are great shavers but I can hardly bare to look at them they are so ugly. ;)

King Pelican full hollow 13/16

Hoshitombo 8000 quarter hollow 13/16

Eiko YSK2 Yasuki steel full hollow 13/16

Gold Rex full hollow 13/16

Tanifiji Fukutaro Cape Kennedy 77

I have a few ugly Japanese razors they are great shavers but I can hardly bare to look at them they are so ugly. ;)

Yep, those are all sorta grotesque and I can empathize and maybe offer a suggestion that works for me.

Jeeez, I enjoy the DE shave results but often wonder if looking at and touching (eeks) these goofy things during the shave is worth the effort. I mean some of my rotation razors are fugly as hell. Great condition and shiny, but they are still silly looking things when compared to a nice modern cartridge like the Mach3. Plus these old clunkers weigh so much it tires me out sometimes before the sixth pass is done.

Anyway, what I do is squint a lot during my dimly lit shave and that does help somewhat. Give that a try sometime. In your case you can paint all the scales your favorite color! Yeah, how lucky is that?

Glad to help a buddy,

Martin

Last edited:
Do you have a favourite razor that you would be reluctant to show in public? I've tended to collect ropey old specimens over the years (cheapskate) and I've rarely failed to get even the worst shaving, often after much scrubbing with wet and dry. Many will never be beauties, but shave really well.
Here is a cheap Sheffield frameback with a pressed steel frame. A complete mess to look at but a magnificent shaver. Followed by a 8/8 Kaufman hollow ground that was so corroded it took me nigh on a year of sanding and polishing to get it ready to hone. Still badly marked in places but shaves like a dream.

I have no ugly razors, SR are all a work of art, each in their own way, be proud of your razor.

Show us your ugly blades!

View attachment 14836View attachment 14837

I have no razors which I am ashamed of. I have a few that are pitted, one with a slightly reshaped tip as well as pits from corrosion that either would not sand out by hand, or that to do so would simply remove too much metal on a hollow ground blade, or just would take so much time to get completely clean.
I love them, and love to see others in similar condition. Vintage straights show up in all conditions, but the ones that show the marks of their journey to get to me are the most beautiful, IMO.
Long live ugly razors, and I hope many more fall into my hands.

Back
Top Bottom