TWSBI Problems

I have quite a few TWSBIs in various shapes and sizes which are all, without exception, really nice writing instruments for day-to-day work.

However, I have had a couple of problems with my two 540s as follows:

Diamond 540 Clear - the cap has cracked where the plastic meets the chrome plated thread ring. It still performs well and there is no sign of it failing entirely but it does affect the aesthetics.

Diamond 540 Smoked - the cap has actually sheared off completely where it meets the chrome plated thread ring!

Now, I know t'internet is full of stories about TWSBIs early material issues, but I'd like to know if anyone else on here has had similar problems and did they manage to successfully seek redress direct from TSWBI.

I have emailed Philip at TWSBI and he is going to send me a replacement cap for the Diamond 540 Smoked - which will be great when I receive it.

I should add that, so far, such quality issues have not affected my VAC 700 or 580s.

I've ready about 540 issues. Never owned one though.

Any issues I had were sorted out very quickly, they were very friendly too. Can't fault their service.

The 580AL does look nice.

Since I purchased the VAC 700, and mindful of the suspect quality of the earlier (540) pens, I have been holding off buying any more TWSBIs.

As I said, so far, I haven't had any issues at all with my several 580s or the VAC 700 and, assuming Philip (from TWSBI) sends me a new cap for my Diamond 540 Smoked, then my faith will have been restored in TWSBI. I love the design of their pens and really do hope they succeed in cracking the quality issues (no pun intended, of course!). They are a refreshing and interesting alternative to the incumbents of the sector.

I am looking to get a TWSBI Diamond 580AL as I love demonstrators, Anyone have any feedback on the newer models?
WIll be ordering from Cultpens so no doubt they will sort any issues, just checking in on this model really?

I use a Diamond 580 nearly everyday and haven't had any problems with it at all. I also have a Vac 700 and it has been trouble-free as well. Both are excellent writers of course.

The only problems I've had so far, have been with my 540s. Having said that, TWSBI's aftersales service is excellent - there have been no problems getting replacement caps etc.

Nico1970 said:
I use a Diamond 580 nearly everyday and haven't had any problems with it at all. I also have a Vac 700 and it has been trouble-free as well. Both are excellent writers of course.

The only problems I've had so far, have been with my 540s. Having said that, TWSBI's aftersales service is excellent - there have been no problems getting replacement caps etc.

What's the size difference between the VAC and the 580?

The Vac 700 is somewhat bigger than the 580. Off the top of my head, I'd say it's about 5mm or so longer and a couple of mm thicker. The Vac 700 is a very substantial pen.

Here are a couple of side by side comparison pictures:

According to The Writing Desk, here are the dims:

Vac 700
Length capped = 146.5mm
Nib length = 23.3mm
Section length = 22mm
Section diameter (max/min) = 10.5/10.0mm
Barrel diameter (max) = 15.0mm
Total length (not posted, including nib) = 133mm
Total length posted (including nib) = 174mm
Weight = 32g

Diamond 580AL