TV brought back from the dead

My tv packed up other day :(
After a little googling turned out to be a common fault. So a bit of you tube and eBay spent £10 and broke out the soldering iron. A couple of IC swaps and couple of capacitors replaced. And bingo!
[attachment=10304]
[attachment=10305]
Sense of achievement is awesome

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1398346969374.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398346969374.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 52
  • uploadfromtaptalk1398347027793.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398347027793.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 46
Well done, BB! I'll just bet you were chuffed!

What make of TV is it and how old? I expect to get bored with mine before they pack up - I don't expect them to at all. Cross fingers touch wood.

It's usually not the fixing but getting to the board with the fault on.
I have a amplifier that I only use as a power amp and thought I will measure the resistance across the volume pot and the top volume I will want and replace with a resistor as poss are generally noisy. Fairly easy job of you can get to the volume pot which I have up on after about half an hour of trying to work out how.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Well done Andy you probably saved yourself a nice packet.

Cheers Jamie, yeah I'd imagine wouldn't be too cheap for a repair centre to do it - or worse buying a new TV. I'm not unfamiliar with soldering small components so it wasn't a difficult task. But i wouldn't have known where to start if it wasn't for youtube.

Shame there are not more people like you Andy. I had a new LCD TV pack up after 4 months or so, the engineer came out took one look at it and said "the main boards gone mate". That was it, a new TV delivered the following day and the old one left with me to do with as I wanted. I sold it on ebay..........
Most of the repair would have been in labour costs to strip it down and rebuild it. Bit like the clutch going in my car in the morning.........£130.00 for the parts and £270.00 for labour.

antdad said:
What was the fault btw, I've two panasonic plasi's waiting to blow.

well mine gave a bunch of rapid flashes of green LED (normal during powerup) followed by a click and 2 flashes of red LED (not normal) with no picture or sound

i believe the same fault can cause 10 red flashes too

Back
Top Bottom