TSR Custom Brush

antdad said:
Sorry for the delay but I've just posted the brush onto Boab, I'm sure he can and will forward it if you ask.

I agree with the sentiment Audio but I don't know how it can be achieved, hopefully you can make your own mind up. When a brush has this sort of density married with a high loft you end up with so much splay you that you just lather your chops with mainly the stem of the hair knot and not the tips.

If that's what folks like then go for it and then print TSR on the base so you can't identify it. :roll:

But it´s a very nice handle ... :lol: I´m sure Bruno will jump in, I don´t think he would like a brush like this sold thru him: I´m with Fozz here, I put my self up for one, but if this is how it´ll work, I´m not very interested either.

fozz77 said:
I had put my vote in as a yes for the TSR brush. But, having seen Tony's pics I have had second thoughts. This is not my style of brush, at all. I am sure it will do a great job if that style of brush floats your boat.

+1. Hate to seem to be jumping on a bandwagon here despite my previous comments but my fancy is just not being tickled by those pictures. good grief i don't think even my chubby chops are big enough for it. just looks a bit too 'sloppy' for me :?

Especially when compared to me current brush of choice - 404 Mix, was hoping for a similar/increased performance with a 'snazzy' handle :)

I am surprised and shocked by the photos tbh, so am glad some have been posted. I thought most people wanted a short loft brush for this? I have also never tried a badger/boar, and would still be up for buying one of these I suppose.

What sort of cost are we looking at?

Those pictures seem to have put off some people. I can't really see what is worrying them so much. Isn't a badger supposed to be quite floppy? Not that it is particularly. I just think that there is no point in producing anything too expensive as it just won't sell. Plus I thought the 404 mix was very popular and this appears to be a more luxurious version.

I liked the brush a lot and would happily buy it and use it.

Not sure there'll ever be one perfect / ideal brush for everyone but this one was the best of the half-dozen or so brushes I have tried.

Maybe Tony could post the spec of his "dream team" brush (badger:boar ratio, density, loft, knot, handle).

Being a complete numpty when it comes to brushes, having lathered this morning with a 404 mix i have no idea on how it's stats match the one pictured - knot size/loft/ratio. That said, if i lathered up tomorrow morning and the loaded brush looked as floppy as that, i would assume it was fuct and throw it away! :?

Admittedly i am basing this on my brush experiences of EJ BB, Vulfix Travel PB, 404 Mix, Sem 1250 - all on the cheaper end of the market i confess, but i know what i like and i know i don't like it too floppy :shock:

Rev-O said:
Maybe Tony could post the spec of his "dream team" brush (badger:boar ratio, density, loft, knot, handle).

Hi gents,

I don't recall the height of the loft, but it's probably 55 mm - too tall. We can make it 50 mm, like the 1520/620, that would make it stiffer.
As for the handle, a wooden handle version of the 1305 seems nice to me too.
By the way, do you want TSR on the front or in the base of the handle?

Rev-O said:
Those pictures seem to have put off some people. I can't really see what is worrying them so much. Isn't a badger supposed to be quite floppy? Not that it is particularly. I just think that there is no point in producing anything too expensive as it just won't sell. Plus I thought the 404 mix was very popular and this appears to be a more luxurious version.

Not sure there'll ever be one perfect / ideal brush for everyone but this one was the best of the half-dozen or so brushes I have tried.

I agree with Ollie. Of course there is no universally popular brush, but this was a goodun and I'm sure it will appeal to most here. I'd still like to know a rough figure for the cost to members, but I'm sure that it will be worth it. Maybe Fido should be next to try the brush. He probably has more experience of different brushes than anyone here and tries to give an objective as well as subjective opinion on each brush he tries.

Rev-O said:

More luxurious version? The more luxurious it is the more it'll drive up the price.

Not that I'm a brush expert but the ratio to boar and badger is wrong.

antdad said:
Its a mix, I think Hando said it was 60/40 in favour of Badger/Boar

If the above is the case, count me out.

Perhaps, it might be more popular/favourable to go for a single model of "TSR" brush handle (all the same RE: size/style/material/colouration/etc) but, with 2 (or 3/4(?)) knot options: one for badger, one for boar (and/or a mixed boadger brush knot though the ratio will still be a point of conflict for discussion, I'd think) and/or one for synthetic knots.

... or is that impractical for the number of folks involved? I just wondered if people turned off (or un-interested) due to ratio and/or type of hair involved in making one boadger, might otherwise buy one (possibly both) models if they were separate brushes.

:?

Leon said:
Rev-O said:

Hi gents,

I don't recall the height of the loft, but it's probably 55 mm - too tall. We can make it 50 mm, like the 1520/620, that would make it stiffer.
As for the handle, a wooden handle version of the 1305 seems nice to me too.
By the way, do you want TSR on the front or in the base of the handle?

Hey Bruno, that sounds like a good idea (to lower the loft)! I´m no expert, either for loft hights or wood handles, but I´m all in for a wood handle due to the fact they look very nice (even though I occasionaly drain the the handle too :oops: ) ). I think it´s good that Tony gave his version though, if the brush behaves like that during "normal" lathering I wouldn´t want one. It would be great if Fido wanted to try it out, but he´s launching his own brand soon, so maybe it´s a bit much to ask him to help out on this one? ;)

I have no doubt whatever that Fido would provide an unbiased review if requested. By the look of things this brush needs another prototype with the reduced loft and further testing before production is entered into. I've committed myself by saying yes in the poll, but as things stand it isn't what I'd hoped.

If the knot composition is to be kept, I'd shorten the loft to 45mm otherwise it'll only be useful for dusting. I tried 50 mm but it was still too floppy in my opinion. It seems to work well with both soap and creams but I'd also like to try another prototype. Bear in mind that fan shaped brushes are inherently softer than other shaped knots, you simply need to counter the tendency to splay by increased density, decreased loft or both.

tsr45b.jpg

tsr45c.jpg

tsr45a.jpg

I still have it, no one took the post. I've contacted Fido to see if he wants to try it for an "unbiased" review.

Edit: As Fido is soon to launch his own brush(es) he informed me that he would prefer to distance himself from this project.

Urban Hermit said:
Perhaps, it might be more popular/favourable to go for a single model of "TSR" brush handle (all the same RE: size/style/material/colouration/etc) but, with 2 (or 3/4(?)) knot options: one for badger, one for boar (and/or a mixed boadger brush knot though the ratio will still be a point of conflict for discussion, I'd think) and/or one for synthetic knots.

... or is that impractical for the number of folks involved? I just wondered if people turned off (or un-interested) due to ratio and/or type of hair involved in making one boadger, might otherwise buy one (possibly both) models if they were separate brushes.

:?

I don't recall the poll but the problem lies with fact that Semogue needs minimum of 50 for an order. I don't know everyone here well enough to know if they're for boar or badger.

I'd like the ratio to be 60 boar and 40 badger with a handle similar to that of Omega 31064.

Specs for my Vulfix 404:
*Ht: 104 mm Loft: 51 mm Base: 53 mm Knot: 23 mm

Omega 31064
Ht: 113 mm Loft: 59 mm Base: 54 mm Knot: 25 mm

Semogue 830
Ht: 112 mm Loft: 56 mm Base: 46 mm Knot: 22 mm

If the knot was set between 22-24, loft was set between 45-55 mm ,and base between 45-50 mm that would be ideal. At least for me anyway.

antdad,

Mighty creative to shorten the loft like that!

Here's my Cocobolo short, Pawn and Laminated wood ( far right ) for reference.

MM928 Cocobolo Ebony Pawn Banded Boar
Ht: 127 mm Loft: 60 mm Base: 67 mm Knot: 18 mm

MM928 Cocobolo short
Ht: 115 mm Loft: 67 mm ( 65 neck ) Base: 45 mm Knot: 20 mm

MM928 Laminated wood
Ht: 115 mm Loft: 65 mm ( 58 neck ) Base: 50 mm Knot: 24 mm ( 26 base )

As a politics geek, I've been preoccupied these past few days.

Getting a group to agree the spec and design of a shaving brush seems to me as challenging as the creation of a rainbow coalition!
Bearing in mind I'm now establishing my own little venture I just feel a bit awkward about getting involved. But anyway, there is no point in me reviewing this specific brush. There have been enough doubts expressed to show that a rethink is needed. And as other contributions show, plenty of ideas!

Back
Top Bottom