Trying blades in new razors.

Hi,
Would you say that it is worth trying blades that I have previously written off as not suitable in a new razor?

I have recent traded my Standard Razor for a Slant (39c) and would like to know if it is worth revisiting blades.

Thank you.

Also in agreement. I think some razors are just easier to hit the perfect angle with and as a result many blades feel and perform so much better. Which razors hit that sweet spot every time is a YMMV issue though.

Agreed! Although just to prove there are exceptions, a few blades can be just as bad in any razor, and conversely a couple of blades can be really great for you no matter what the hardware. I've liked 7 o'clock yellow in everything.
But yeah as a general rule you should go back and try again in a new razor. Blades and razors are very variable together.

pablo85 said:
Hi,
Would you say that it is worth trying blades that I have previously written off as not suitable in a new razor?

I have recent traded my Standard Razor for a Slant (39c) and would like to know if it is worth revisiting blades.

Thank you.
Definitely.
It doesn't apply to Derby blades though :icon_lol:

I tend to agree. As an example, I shaved this morning for the first time using an Astra blade in a US Aristocrat and it was a wonderful shave, whereas the Astra just was not working in either a Rocket or NEW or a Tech.

most blades work well in my 39 c. the only ones i have had problems with are feathers, which work great every other razor i own! they just trash my face in the slant, dont know why. try them all again, why not! =)

derbys work great in the slant for me.......

So I was very kindly pif'd some blades by some good chaps on here and wow! Personna supers in the 39c are incredible. I shall work my way through the samples but I think they will be hard to beat!!

Re: RE: Trying blades in new razors.

pablo85 said:
So I was very kindly pif'd some blades by some good chaps on here and wow! Personna supers in the 39c are incredible. I shall work my way through the samples but I think they will be hard to beat!!
Paul, this is a match made in heaven, at list in the 37c. I remember the first time I tried a new Personna Super in the 37c and it was a wow moment indeed.

So I loaded up with, albeit with some caution a derby blade into my 39c last night.
Not a bad shave at all!! Very surprised as when I've used them before I've found them to be quite tuggy. I am yet to find a blade that doesn't perform in the 39c. Agreed that some do perform better (personna super) but nothing that hasn't given me a good shave.
I think derby blades get a bit more of a bad rep than they should. In the right razor, no problem.
I also think that because people use them as a first blade, prep, lather and technique are all not quite up to scratch so will make people think they're worse than they are. I know I did.

Back
Top Bottom