Trumper v's Kent v's ????

My boyfriend mentioned a few months ago that he'd really like a Trumper shave brush... because, you know, they're made of Badger hair and cost £130......

It's his birthday coming up soon and I thought I would buy him a Trumper shave brush on account of the fact that it would be nice to buy him something beautiful and luxurious but yet practical and something he would make use of every day.

Being the kind of person who likes to know the background of what she's about to spend over £100 on I thought I'd do a bit of research. Big mistake. Now I'm totally confused about badger hair classification (I did a search on here but couldn't see reference to the Trumper brand).

The Trumper shop calles their best brushes "Super Badger" which I always thought was a step down from "Silvertip". However, Kent Brushes (who, in the course of my investigation I have discovered make the Trumper brushes) sell a 'silvertip' for less than the Trumper ones and I've looked all over the place to find out whether the Kent brush is actually best, or the Trumper actually silvertip and then got all confused. And then my head exploded.

So anyway, I'd really appreciate some guidance on which one is the best. He did mention the Trumper brand and I think he'd like one because that's what he associated with fine shaving but if the Kent (or another brand) is proven to be a much better grade of hair then I think he'd appreciate the effort I'd put into seeking the research. It sort of justifies going for a different brand iykwim.

I should add, he currently uses shave foam out of a can and a disposable razor so this will be his first. Excessive maybe, but I do quite like him :)

there is actually no industry standard for grading hair type on brushes so each company is completely different. Trumpers recently changed who makes there brushes so I can not comment on the hair type or quality of them now, before they were made by simpsons and just re-branded versions of there own brushes. There is a large selection of diffrent people you could get a good brush from for actually a lot below what you are looking at paying, but if you want to spend that much I would go for a simpsons. Whose best hair is actually comparable to some other companies silvertip(just to confuse you some more)

pedro083 said:
there is actually no industry standard for grading hair type on brushes so each company is completely different. Trumpers recently changed who makes there brushes so I can not comment on the hair type or quality of them now, before they were made by simpsons and just re-branded versions of there own brushes. There is a large selection of diffrent people you could get a good brush from for actually a lot below what you are looking at paying, but if you want to spend that much I would go for a simpsons. Whose best hair is actually comparable to some other companies silvertip(just to confuse you some more)

Yep that just confuses me more ;-) I guess with this one there is also the VW factor... you know that a SEAT is made by VW but if you wanted a VW, a SEAT, no matter how much better it was, just wouldn't be the same.

I guess it's the same with Trumper V's any other brand that may make the product but just put a different label on it.

Not quite the case here though. The "Rolls Royce's" of the brush world are Simpson's, Kent and Rooney. They typically made the brushes for the London gentleman's shops like Trumpers, Truefitt & Hill and Taylors. I'd suggest you go for a Simpson, they've got a deserved reputation as very good brush makers.

Hi Emma, you could also contact one of our resident brush makers, they would be able to make something "unique" for you & offer excellent advice on hair type/knot size etc.

Beejay & Neep are two that I know of.

good luck.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that Simpsons doesn't make trumper brushes any more.

For that reason, you may as well spend £100 or so on a simpson brush. I have a few, they are fantastic.

It would be good to know how the brush might be used (soap or cream, face or bowl) so we can steer you towards the appropriate models.

Who's bought a Duke 3 in Best recently?

Emma

If he said he wanted a Trumpers brush, that's what I'd get him. Regardless of who makes them they will be fine brushes with the Trumpers logo. Their "Super" brushes are what they call their very best silvertip hair. I have a Trumpers brush with their super hair and it's excellent. Of course many other brands offer similar quality but if you are wiling to buy him a Trumpers brush at the sort of price you have in mind, he'll be delighted.

I've just had a reply to an email I sent to Trumpers the other day and thought I would post it here for your info:

The question was along the lines of whether the Super is comparable to the Silver tip used by other brands?

Our range of shaving brushes on our website www.trumpers.com our made with Best and Super Badger hair.

Silver tipped hair is from the neck of the neck of the animal and is softer than the other grades of hair. Silver tip is sometimes classed as Super but this all depends on which company the shaving brush is purchased from.

Our Super badger hair is very soft and part of our best selling range.

Hi Emma, when he is in possession and suitably delighted of and with his brush get him to come on to this forum and we'll all be similarly delighted to offer help and advice...

emmaholt said:
I've just had a reply to an email I sent to Trumpers the other day and thought I would post it here for your info:

The question was along the lines of whether the Super is comparable to the Silver tip used by other brands?

Our range of shaving brushes on our website www.trumpers.com our made with Best and Super Badger hair.

Silver tipped hair is from the neck of the neck of the animal and is softer than the other grades of hair. Silver tip is sometimes classed as Super but this all depends on which company the shaving brush is purchased from.

Our Super badger hair is very soft and part of our best selling range.

Back
Top Bottom