Trumper eBay warning

I bought Trumper extract of lime bath soap on eBay. It's 150g and normally retails for £10. I paid about £7.50 for it, still extremely expensive for bath soap, but I wanted to try it and this is the cheapest I'd ever get the chance.

Sadly what I bought is either fake (very unlikely) or a factory outlet/reject.

The one I have is completely unscented. The listing does say it's from a factory shop, however not that it's rejected.

I would guess that the factory has a wee shop where they sell products that are not suitable for retail... so beware if you're buying soaps on ebay. The same seller was selling Trumpers shaving soap, which is why I've put the warning up.

It's fairly possible though that dented, scratched, bashed soap would be disposed of this way too, and I'd imagine that would be fine... However this one obviously isn't!

Edit : Refund received from the seller very fast and apologetic. It seems she bought it from a factory shop which was closing, but not as rejected stock.

Dear My eBay Account,

Hi Dave the money is back in your account - I can only apologise and no I don't want it back, throw it away if it's not right. It's beginning to be a bit of a nightmare this ebaying lark. I bought a few things when the factory went bust, thought I was being clever, have held on to it for about 4 months, and now I am having a few problems with the smells. Some of the Jo Malone stuff smells differently. Serves me right for thinking I could make a bit of extra cash! You are absolutely right to say it's not right. It was wrapped up and looked ok - so I can only say I'm really sorry.
Yvette

- Her eBay account.

A shame really, but I guess that's the risk she took.

Worth pointing out to people.

As I think I've said here before I once bought four tubs of Taylors of Old Bond Street shaving cream very cheap off ebay. Forget how much but probably about half the normal price. I was aware it might be too good to be true but I thought it was worth a punt. All said Shaving Shop scent (my favourite). All were labelled as such when they arrived but had no scent at all. They all perform just as well. When I mentioned lack of scent to seller he offered me another for free. Well, I didn't have a lot of creams at the time so I accepted. Still have two left. Still work just fine, just don't get the really nice smell.

I do feel sorry for her. I sent her a email thanking her and saying that... as I said it's a real shame. Then again if you're buying from a factory shop you've got to wonder why the stuff is there...

NotTheStig said:
Worth pointing out to people.

As I think I've said here before I once bought four tubs of Taylors of Old Bond Street shaving cream very cheap off ebay. Forget how much but probably about half the normal price. I was aware it might be too good to be true but I thought it was worth a punt. All said Shaving Shop scent (my favourite). All were labelled as such when they arrived but had no scent at all. They all perform just as well. When I mentioned lack of scent to seller he offered me another for free. Well, I didn't have a lot of creams at the time so I accepted. Still have two left. Still work just fine, just don't get the really nice smell.

If it's any consolation I have a tub of Mr Taylor's which is a wonderful, wonderful scent. However it's so faint I have to intentionally sniff the tub to smell it. You're not missing out on a huge amount!

Maybe I'm just a jackboot, but I don't really feel sorry for her, though in fairness she does come across quite nice. I've come across some right chumps with a real bad attitude in my time.

I suppose you get that anywhere, even on here.

Thanks for pointing this out as quite a few of us would have never known about it. That is a classic response from a eBayer selling fake items. If reported, eBay would ban them from trading.

rings some alarm with some shaving soaps i got in a similar fashion of ebay...i dismissed them as rubbish for lathering...maybe mine were fakes too

Interesting cuestion... Some time ago I saw some pucks of Penhaligon's shaving soaps with the name crossed for "brand regulations", but I finally didn't bid for them because I was worried about its possibly lack of scent or foam...

There's as well a famous case of an USA reseller who sold many tubes of old Ach Brito Lavender shaving creams in really bad state, withouth scent and insuitable for get a decent lather and he didn't want know anything about that, so I think we must be careful about what and to who we buy this items.

Cheers!

octopus said:
Thanks for pointing this out as quite a few of us would have never known about it. That is a classic response from a eBayer selling fake items. If reported, eBay would ban them from trading.

It is the kind of response you get from a fakes seller on eBay, however I think in this case the seller was telling me the truth. They were pretty quick about giving me a refund. I'll never be able to tell but it does add up... there's been a lot of trumpers stuff arrived on ebay recently, so it does make sense that a factor shop has closed and sold off their stuff.

It's not fake soap, or at least I'm pretty sure it's not, it's soap that failed a quality check (because no scent was added!).

Sir_eider said:
Interesting cuestion... Some time ago I saw some pucks of Penhaligon's shaving soaps with the name crossed for "brand regulations", but I finally didn't bid for them because I was worried about its possibly lack of scent or foam...

There's as well a famous case of an USA reseller who sold many tubes of old Ach Brito Lavender shaving creams in really bad state, withouth scent and insuitable for get a decent lather and he didn't want know anything about that, so I think we must be careful about what and to who we buy this items.

Cheers!

I think the Penhaligons stuff must have failed quality control, and the factory with the contract to make it for them must be under instruction that they can't sell these "factory seconds" without removing the name. That should be enough for anyone reasonable to realise there is something wrong with them. If they were misshapen then that seems like a bargain, otherwise...

Back
Top Bottom