Travel Shave Recommendations

With an overseas holiday on the horizon (check me out), thoughts of what to do with regards to shaving have been popping into my mind (any excuse to buy more stuff).

I've got some sticks/creams that will probably do the job (although any recommendations welcome). Not too sure about brushless.

What do people do, just take their standard razor?

Is a travel brush worth the investment?

Share your experience. Cheers.

When I fly I carry all my shaving gear in my carry-on bag; hence it must meet all the regulations for the carry-on of liquids, creams, gels and sharps. My carry-on shaving kit comprises a cartridge razor with several cartridges (I take a Mach 3 or Trac II), a Muhle Silvertip fibre brush carried in a tablet bottle with holes punched, a 60 ml tube of shaving cream and a 50 ml bottle of aftershave. For my creams and gels (i.e. Shaving cream, hair gel, shampoo and hand cream)I have refillable, squeezeable tubes into which I decant whatever it is from a larger container. If you're not flying or don't want to carry your gear in your carry-on, you are not subject to these limitations. Be aware that for carry-on liquids, gels and creams they all have to be in a clear, closed, resealable plastic bag no larger than 1litre/1 quart and the individual containers of liquids, creams and gels can be no larger than 100 ml. My further advice is that you check with your carrie(s) regarding their rules for carry-on and checked baggage.

I tend to keep it very simple and compact when travelling.

If travelling abroad only with hand luggage = King Of Shave Hyperglide razor with two spare carts + Palmolive soap stick+Body Shop shaving brush. A soap is not liquid or cream so always ok to fly with.

If travelling domestic or checking a suitcase= Travel Gillette Tech+ Gillette blades holder with 5 blades of choice+La Toja shave stick+ Village Barber Aftershave balm in a small pump bottle.

Holiday = a break from the normal routine = no shaving, no changing of underpants, no wearing of belts and no answering of phones.

Job well and truly jobbed.

As above ;).

I wish I could do that. In the sun, what beard I have seems to go bleached at the ends and I have a patchy white face where the sun hasn't reached it so I need to keep on top of any growth if I intend to get a decent tan! My strange bleached beard isn't appealing in photos either.

I find my standard Kent BK4 is easily small enough to travel. I take a D.R Harris Arlington soap dish away as it removes the need for a separate bowl and my Muhle R89 with 2 spare blades. Last year I took a travel tube of Trumper Spanish Leather and I found the leather scent and thick cream too heavy for hot country use.

I'd imagine Palmolive would be quite pleasurable in warmer countries too and nicely portable.

Brush: Kent Silvertex synth. £10, brilliant and dries in about 10 minutes, and if you lose it you're only £10 down.
Cream: Ingrams (menthol great in the heat) and only £2 if you leave it behind

I do have a travel brush but it was in a sale otherwise I may not have bothered, they're quite handy but not a must have. Recently I travelled for a week with a full size Thater 4125, it sat quite happily in a cardboard tube from a toilet roll. Ventilation and protection all in one classy package!

About my only travel must is a small tube of cream, I have a good many pots but they're too big to go in a washbag.

Razors don't take up any room, take your favourite with you. Just wrap the head in tissue if there's a blade fitted, I've had a bad cut before from forgetting to do that and then rummaging in my washbag on arrival.

Greetings

Unless you have cabin baggage only take what you normally use, cream/soap excepted if you normally use a large tub then take a tube or a stick.

Do you really need to save two perhaps three ounces of weight?

Regards
Dick.

Last time (April) I took: Kiehl's face wash (small), Omega boar & badger brush, Valobra stick, Wickham Super Smooth sample, Slim adjustable, Contour handle, 1DE blade, 1 cart and Clinique M series moisturiser. I ended up shaving once. I'm guessing August will be no different, so I'm (almost) with Vinny on this - a holiday's a holiday, although I do like to change my underpants daily.

In May I took my ancient wilkie brush, a sample tube of Liz Earle cream, a Parker travel razor and five assorted blades with 30mls of Eucris in my dopp kit. Soaps purchased when found locally..:

Some useful tips there.

I was thinking something with menthol would be good for the cooling effect, but my Proraso is a bit too big, so might invest in some Ingrams (reviews seem 50/50). I'm wondering if a tube of 444 aftershave gel might be worth a try.

I currently alternate wet shave/electric so holidays I usually go all wet shave. I'm not away for long, but even so, I couldn't not shave. I'm clawing at the stubble by the end of the day with the electric. My beard grows so fast I'd look like a caveman by the time I got back.

Wilkinson Blue two blade disposable razor, palmolive shave stick and a £10 badger brush I got off the bay that I wont mind losing if the worst happens :)

ASB is a sample pack of Blue Beard's Revenge which I top up from a bigger pot as and when it gets low.

AS is a tiny sample bottle I 'borrowed' from somewhere years ago and top up with whatever floats my boat at the time I'm packing for the trip :)

Due to disability I tend to stay in this country, so my solution might not suit most people's circumstances, but my travel kit is as follows:

Muhle Silvertip Fibre brush (synthetic, so dries rapidly and isn't damaged as easily as a badger knot)
Tabac stick (I enjoy the aroma and performance of Tabac and the container is pretty sturdy)
Merkur 34c (easy to replace if damaged)
Couple of blades in the small plastic box I use for the razor (came from RestoredRazors with a replated Gillette)
Styptic pencil
Small decant of aftershave in a cheap eBay spray bottle.

If I can pack properly (ie not trying to get everything in carry on luggage) I will include a Shave Stick or a slice of a hard soap, Grosvenor 404 Mixed in a tube, Merkur Digress HD, enough blades to carry me through with a spare or two (for a two week holiday that would equate to 5), an alum block and a small ASB. Razor will travel with me, but all other elements in the hold luggage.

Alternatively I will pack creams or soaps that will be finished before the holiday ends so they will get binned.

444 is small, menthol and OK, so worth a punt

Buy smaller pots and bottles and decant off what you need each time you go away. You can then change to what ever your current favourite is. Bottles etc are cheap enough, I got a whole load from China for a little over £2, think it was 25. So I use and bin.

As for a razor what ever you want your not going to save much space between a "travel" razor and a "normal" one. Brush wise I do find myself compromising there, but only on size. I use either a Simpsons B1 or the prototype New Forest I purchased from Fido. Either fits nicely into an old shave stick travel tube I made. To me a travel tube is essential to protect it and help keep it's shape. I don't think Fido does travel brushes, but in my opinion he should, fantastic brush. Peter will put me right here if I'm wrong but I think it was a one off.

444 is great stuff too.

joe mcclaine said:
Holiday = a break from the normal routine = no shaving, no changing of underpants, no wearing of belts and no answering of phones.

Job well and truly jobbed.

Aha - so this was you!

trampDM0503_468x579.jpg

Back
Top Bottom