Traditional Straight v Feather Artist Club

Guys, I'm having a ball learning to shave with my Feather Artist Club SS. It's hard to put into words just how much fun it is. I can't ever go back to DE razors (for my face at least) as they are just so boring by comparison.

Having caught the straight razor bug, I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on what it's like to shave with a traditional straight as opposed to the Feather AC? Is it easier to shave with a TS? Has anyone moved from a Feather AC to a TS and found the experience even better than the switch from DE to AC?

I'm so tempted to sell my Cobra and invest in a Thiers Issard!

I use most kinds of razor - straight, feather, cobra, SE and DE and enjoy the differences, so in my opinion, don't ditch the Cobra.

Specifically, the differences between the feather and a traditional straight are in terms of size and sharpness of blade. My collection of straights varies in size both in terms of blade length and width, but almost all of them are larger than the Feather. I actually find the bigger size to be an advantage and slightly easier to shave with but not massively so.

The Feather blade you will be familiar with - it's difficult to get a straight to that level of sharpness - but you can certainly get a smoother edge that gives a superior end result. I like the convenience of a Feather - for holidays etc. and they tend to be a bit faster than a straight.

Why not add a cheap straight to your collection and see for yourself.

This is so like my own experience it's uncanny. I love the Feather and can't yet get as good a shave from a traditional straight but the whole experience and general coolness of straights is hard to beat. You won't do better than buying a cheap shave ready razor from someone on the classifieds. Keep an eye out because they sell quickly. You could try a want to buy add. Alternatively look at Neil's strop shop site or the invisible edge site as they both sell properly shave ready razors. Have fun!

CMOT said:
This is so like my own experience it's uncanny. I love the Feather and can't yet get as good a shave from a traditional straight but the whole experience and general coolness of straights is hard to beat. You won't do better than buying a cheap shave ready razor from someone on the classifieds. Keep an eye out because they sell quickly. You could try a want to buy add. Alternatively look at Neil's strop shop site or the invisible edge site as they both sell properly shave ready razors. Have fun!

Thanks! Will do.

CMOT said:
This is so like my own experience it's uncanny. I love the Feather and can't yet get as good a shave from a traditional straight but the whole experience and general coolness of straights is hard to beat.

How would you rate your shave from the straight? You say it's not as good as the Feather but I'm interested in how different it is because I can get as good a shave with both.

If the straight is well down in performance then perhaps it's not quite shave ready and needs honing. Something to think about anyway.

Re: RE: Traditional Straight v Feather Artist Club

UKRob said:
CMOT said:
This is so like my own experience it's uncanny. I love the Feather and can't yet get as good a shave from a traditional straight but the whole experience and general coolness of straights is hard to beat.

How would you rate your shave from the straight? You say it's not as good as the Feather but I'm interested in how different it is because I can get as good a shave with both.

If the straight is well down in performance then perhaps it's not quite shave ready and needs honing. Something to think about anyway.

I think my initial attempts at stropping have dulled things a bit. I'm getting better but intend to have a go at refreshing soon and if that fails then it's off to Mr Miller.

I would agree with UKRob. Enjoy the different experiences.

I shave mostly with straights these days but go to the SS for a wee
change now and then ( as well as SE & DE depending on mood).

My straights are never as sharp as the Feather SS but give consistant
BBS results.

Only ditch the Cobra if you want to pass it this way at a knock down
price. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom