Total novice

Hi folks
Thanks again
As said earlier I have a Kent badger brush for years along with a standard modern cartridge job
Just bought my first razor was only £9 so worth a go a. Merkur 33c

But still very much would like a straight razor ... Keen but apprehensive at same time .
Looking at another brush too from a very skilled kind gent whose known here .

Can't wait for 33c to arrive .

I gave a soap puck in a Bonny wooden bowl but no idea what it is

Any recommendations for soaps / oils & where to buy ?

Paul

Welcome to TSR. You're on the threshold of a fascinating, lifelong, out-of-pocket experience!

For soaps, etc, you're bound to find a bewildering array of choice in the "Buy/Sell/Trade" forum.

Regards,
Chris

Hi Paul. I'm a complete novice to DE shaving too. Just had my first De wet shave today. Not too bad, I didn't cut myself! Used a Merkur 34C and a Personna lab Blue blade with Simpsons Sandalwood cream and a Omega synthetic brush. Where are you based? I'm in Dundee and there is a fantastic shave shop in Dundee city centre called The Gentlemans Groom Room. http://www.thegentlemansgroomroom.com

I'm in Montrose ,
Merkur 33c I have,
I found that shop near 8 years ago and bought a Kent badger hair brush and Taylor's of bond street soap but always used modern cartridge razors till last week , need to get back down to Dundee have a browse ,
Very keen for some reason on trying a straight tho [emoji52]

Cheers
Paul

Welcome! I'm just along the road just outside Brechin :) Gentlemans groom room is a great place for a browse or if you want some seriously good soap at an excellent price try ordering from https://www.facebook.com/OSPSoaps James is a member on here and I've just taken delivery of a couple and they're great.

Get used to the DE first then see about a straight as a lot of the skills are transferable :)

Welcome to the forums.
I saw your kit in the "Acquisitions" thread. NSS and XXX soaps, you've got good taste. I've not tried an Omega synthetic but I've heard it performs well. You might want to leave the Feather blades until you've practiced a bit. No aftershaves? Checkout Superdrug's or Boots' own brands.
Sounds like you've made a great start. Keep with it and it only gets better.
Shave on.

Hi Paul,
Welcome to TSR. If your ever back in Dundee pop into the shop and say hello, also we will host our second annual wet shave meet at the shop in February next year when we get together for a few beers, snacks and some shave related chat.
Ian

Last edited:
Hi

Lot of great help & advice
Thanks for the welcome
Much appreciated
Now I've discovered this art im keen to get back to Dundee gave a browse , it's where I bought my brush & soap from easy 7 yrs ago
Have to wait tho , on crutches snapped Achilles' tendon [emoji19]
Interested in the shave meet tho !

Paul

Your in good hands here Paul! there is a lot of very helpful and knowledgeable members at TSR.

It is more than likely it was myself that served you all these years ago, good to know your Kent brush has given you good service and is still going strong.

Our first wet shave meet was very successful and a good bit of banter was had between TSR guys and The Big Shave group! We also raffle off some great prizes for charity and give 10% discount on anything in the shop on the day. Nearer the time we will put up a thread in the general shaving section as we did before with the date and time of our next meet.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Ian

Back
Top Bottom