Total novice

Hi there
NE Scotland here, Angus area , total novice to this, other than have a cake of soap in a wooden bowl and a plastic handled badger hair brush that I've used for years along with a plastic modern cartridge type wilkinson razor.

Found on another forum deer antlered brushes which were beautiful and got me thinks about a cut throat razor , all comments so far all positive , so thinking of trying one but apprehensive.
Absolutely no idea what kind , brand make marque etc to look for and what to avoid .

Cheers
Paul

Cheers guys

So what would you recommend for a novice
For a straight razor ,
Double edge or single ?
What marque / model ?

Paul

It's very much horses for courses, but you can't go wrong with a razor from Merkur (34C) or Muhle (R89) or Edwin Jagger (DE89) for a DE. I'm not an SE user so I can't say for sure on those. For straights, again, not a user (yet) so I'll leave that to those who know :)

Hi Paul,

for DE razors @nick_s has given good advice above. I'd start there, get confident and then look at the 'Lending pool' forum to see if you can borrow a straight to see if they are for you... SE razors can be had cheaply, almost all vintage. EverReady 1912s and Schick injectors are available for little money on BST or ebay and you still can get blades. For me the fun is in the variety, but get your basics sorted first. Good preparation is the key. After that you can enjoy a good shave with almost anything.

Welcome

Andreas

Merkur 34c - probably the only razor you'll ever need. Start slow and steady and use the same kit for EVERY shave till you've got it down. Same kit means same razor, same blade, same soap or cream, same brush, same aftershave, same everything. Takes out the variables and lets you concentrate on your technique. Of course, I never listened to all those wise souls who advised me the same and took the rockier, less travelled path......figures! :oops::rolleyes:

Oh aye, welcome along sir.

Hi Paul,
welcome along to TSR.
I am pretty new to shaving without cartridges myself.
I haven't tried Straights yet, have gone along the DE and SE route first to get my hand in.
As others have said to me, enjoy the experience.

Hi Paul,welcome to TSR!.
And BTW,its called a 'straight razor' round these parts!....LOL!.
Enjoy the forum buddy!.
If coming from carts,I would give a vintage Tech,with a Voskhod,or Sputnik blade a go....
Nice and cheap,just to see if you like it!.
And dont forget the PREP!!!!!.
It probably sounds like I am talking a foreign language,but just ask if you want to know what I am running on about!,It seems like a lifetime ago I took the plunge from canned goo,and Asda 2 blade carts to where I am now!.
Just ask mate,we a friendly bunch!.

Last edited:
Hi Paul - Welcome to TSR.

I started with an Edwin Jagger DE89 and it still gets a look in now and then. I'd agree that a Tech is a good vintage razor to start with as well. For an SE razor I personally like an EverReady 1912 or the somewhat less attractive looking PAL Inject-O-Matic - Bit ugly but a great razor!

Back
Top Bottom