Total newbie to shavette technique

Wasn't sure where to post this.

I have just got a shavette-type razor. It looks like a straight but takes half a double edge blade.
No problem loading it (although a bit fiddly - mine is a very cheap one, just to practice with and see if I like it) but can't really get the hang of it. Used two blades (Supermax blue, which I get on well with) and trying to copy the techniques from the straight videos on YouTube causes no pain but doesn't shave close enough. I don't feel comfortable to do ATG and XTG gives the same sort of result. Am I using the wrong technique? (it's not really a straight but it's not DE either)
I also noticed that, although I hadn't spotted it at the time, I got a huge number of weepers on my neck in an area that is particularly sensitive, despite it not shaving close enough. I was also conscious of how to use both sides of the blade, and my other hand (do people do this?)
Then, when shaving further up my face I got the angle wrong and felt the blade do the merest slice into my upper cheek.
Enough, I thought, I need to get some advice. Couldn't find a mantic video on the subject and am looking for others right now.
Can anyone offer any advice?

hi there i have a few shavette and i get a great shave of them the key is to take it slow till you master all the angles to use it and the main thing to remember is light touch and u will master it in no time i use the dovo shavette with a feather in it and it is fantastic you just have to take your time as the shavette are sharper the normal straights but am sure you will master it in no time.

I've only tried a shavette twice so far but it requires more accurate technique than a real straight. It is less forgiving and bites you if you get it wrong!

These things are used by barbers for tidying up the hair on the neck or shaping sideburns.

Shouldn't be used for 'proper' shaving.

Jeltz said:
I've only tried a shavette twice so far but it requires more accurate technique than a real straight. It is less forgiving and bites you if you get it wrong![/quote

+1 on that. I gave up on trying with a shavette, moved on to a straight and found it a far more straightforward technique to learn. I can understand why barbers use a disposable blade for wet shaving in the interests of hygeine, but for a personal razor I'd just wait until I could get a straight.

JohnnyO.

Back
Top Bottom