Top Gear...

philamac said:
Yes, being obsessed about guns 'n' ammo in the UK does happily seem to be viewed with some suspicion generally.In fairness to him I think Clarkson is trying to do his bit for the armed forces and I heard he does help out some charities which provide assistance to injured soldiers and their families.

Top Gear's typical viewer will include impressionable young men that are perfect recruitment fodder for the army. If he really want's to support soldiers then he should stop encouraging them to sign up by playing games with military hardware on prime time TV.
My real objection is that he may believe he is supporting "our boys" by giving them a platform, he's actually doing the opposite and his charity work is just confirmation that actually he is as guilty as hell and he knows it.

antdad said:
his charity work is just confirmation that actually he is as guilty as hell and he knows it.

His charity work is based on his deep personal interest in all things military (obviously they couldn't let him in the military in his jeans :lol: ) - stemming from his father-in-law who won a VC... He wrote and narrated a thing about that VC and this about the raid on St. Nazaire...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgF0R4dhUqk[/youtube]

Is it true that David Walliams called Clarkson a 'c@#t' on 'Mock the Week'?

I find Clarkson entertaining . But what also amuses me is the fact that the things he rails against - political correctness and environmental preservation - are what keeps him in money through his newspaper column. His arguments are often funny, but can often be torn apart when looked at closely. I suppose he is just an opinionated light entertainment presenter and newspaper columnist. Nothing wrong with that apart from the vast amount of the License Fee he gets.

But anyone who reads his book and decides to base their world view and personal philiosophy on the utterings of old Jezza is a twat (Even Jeremy would agree with that).

Ah, winnits! That brings back fond memories :lol:

philamac said:
... the things he rails against - political correctness ...

That deserves to be railed against - or put up against a wall and shot, along with overzealous (read litigation-fearing) Health & Safety do-gooders - sure H&S has it's place in preventing workplace accidents - but some of the stuff that was allowed for consenting adults to indulge in for the likes of village fetes etc. is now far too dangerous. They banned home baked goods from sale for school funds in Dundee a while back (but relented when the whole country expressed the opinion that the people making the decision were arseholes) on the grounds of food hygiene/H&S.

Far too many people are pushing pens and making the entire country risk averse to the point where kids have no idea what it's actually like to fall over and graze a knee (and $DEITY help them if they do, nobody's allowed to give first aid any more in case of being sued or in case they're a paedophile)

I do watch Top Gear but it tells me nothing about cars, it could be about anything, just that cars is a good topic almost everyone can relate to. Some of the camera work is stunning and how it is put together is well thought out. Yes it is mostly all scripted, especially the rigging of each others cars and continual bumping of James's car on any of the outings but I do find it amusing.

What worries me is that anyone takes anything they say about cars even slightly seriously, it is just entertainment.

I went off MC a few series ago (I worked with Matt Follas for a while so did watch the last series with him), I do still watch Dragons Den and the wife is a CSI fanatic, but I really do not watch much TV at all. I read, listen to a lot of music and have a few other activities that take up a lot of my time. For that reason I like Sky+ I can avoid almost all of the adverts and condense my TV time.

I'm a fan of Top Gear. Its just getting a toe-hold here in the States with the BBC America cable channel running reruns from the '06 to '08 seasons. I'm not a gearhead but I really enjoy the videography and the scripting style of the castmembers. I'm planning a "Top Gear-esque" review of the Goodfella razor for my video series.

mantic59 said:
I'm a fan of Top Gear. Its just getting a toe-hold here in the States with the BBC America cable channel running reruns from the '06 to '08 seasons. I'm not a gearhead but I really enjoy the videography and the scripting style of the castmembers. I'm planning a "Top Gear-esque" review of the Goodfella razor for my video series.

i think i will look out for that one :shave

mantic59 said:

Ahaaa, a 'Shaving Stig', 'Star with a reasonably priced badger brush'.................

I used to be well into it,but then again I used to drive a car,now I ride a motorcycle and love it,so as with top gear,I can take it or leave it to be honest

Back
Top Bottom