Top Gear...

... is one of the few programmes that i religiously watch, seems to get better every series.

Anyone else a fan or have any programmes they wouldn't miss?

Sometimes I like Top Gear, other times it just seems a bit too smartarsed for its own good. This is probably due to Jeremy Clarkson. I think he is entertaining but I have to remind myself not to take him seriously.

James May is underused, I really enjoyed the shows he did with Oz Clarke.

And is Hammond going through a mid-life crisis? What is it with the hair and beads?

At the moment my guilty pleasure is Hotel Babylon. The first series was better than the stuff now, but it is harmless popcorn, and I like the characters.

Top Gear is one of my all time fav's

went through a stage of not missing CSI but there's that many versions now some are crap, the Original's the best

i'm ashamed to say the wife watches utter shite, x-factor, strictly, talent, blah-blah

but one show i really like is QI - appeals to my sense of humour & intellect

Fave long-running shows are Dragon's Den and Masterchef Goes Large. A recent comedy I've been enjoying is Psychoville, created by some of the League of Gentlemen. Not quite in the same league (excuse pun) as their older stuff but I think that's partly because I don't get all the horror references they have apparently sneaked in.

On DVD we are half way through the second series of The Wire. It is extremely good, but rather confusing for me as I am hopeless at faces and still don't know who half the characters are!!

Come on fella's don't you secretly wish the armed services would at least use live ammo for getting free advertising on the beeb...I've never seen such blatant propaganda. Come on boys, chase me chase me I'd like to take up the shi**er with a large barrel...sick. Lets see the disfigurements, disability, bodybags or jail cells that is where our "fine young troops" usually end up.

I have become increasingly bored with this program.

I wasn't PC but I suppose I could be, these formats are increasingly wearisome for me ...it's the faux drama that I find teadious with Masterchef especially when they visit a pro kitchen where they usually start well then they'e in trouble and then he presto they pull it out of the bag.

As for the Dragon's Den I like seeing new ideas/business get funding but in many ways it can be as exploitative as X factor where they get proposals in just so they can tear them apart. It went through a phase of doing this alot and then I stopped watching maybe it's different now but I bought a PVR and rarely watch a scheduled show anymore.

I watch more factual stuff and the odd film but otherwise it's the rest of the families medium, they also watch shite except for soaps and the news which I have banned like a good moderator.

antdad said:
I wasn't PC but I suppose I could be, these formats are increasingly wearisome for me ...it's the faux drama that I find teadious with Masterchef especially when they visit a pro kitchen where they usually start well then they'e in trouble and then he presto they pull it out of the bag.

Completely agree, all the long pauses in an attempt to build tension. I kind of hoped that Peter Kay's attempt to take the piss out of these formats might cause a few TV executives and programme makers to question their own professionalism and pride in what they do, but alas no.

But then I thought that after the Father Ted Lovely Girls Competition then someone would see sense and pull the plug on the Rose of Tralee and all similar rubbish. So what the hell do I know :lol:

The other thing that is irksome about MC is that all the contestants constantly witter on about how they want to "change their lives"

"So why do you want to win Master Chef ?"

"Well I've been a sewage worker for 30 years and I thought I needed a new challenge."

"Well your'e food looks and tastes like shite so you should do well"

AGGGHHHHH!!!!...bring back Grossman and all the middleclass contestants that just liked cooking for cooking sake.

Antdad, you are not alone in your dislikes of MC, but some of these annoyances are what keep me watching. It is fun to rant at the telly sometimes and take the piss out of some of things the contestants and presenters say. I do think that there needs to be more emphasis on the food than the glamourous locations and challenges they are given. Next year they'll be cooking for astronauts on the International Space Station.

PC my annoyance is based on the fact that I once liked these programs. I think they moved MC from BBC2 to 1, ramped it up, extended it and then milked it for all it's worth plus I'm an old git and everything is much worse nowadays. ;)

Yep, know what you mean. That happens a lot. Red Dwarf for example got worse as the budget increased. Same with The Mighty Boosh! :(

Same can be said for shaving-related websites. Big Budget ones are not as good as Their Smaller Relatives. :lol:

I like TopGear for what it is - 3 blokes messing around in cars - I used to hate it before when you had William Woollard (a man with the same emotional range as Formica™) telling you that virtually every car he drove was "nippy" and enough room for a family of four... crashingly dull in extremis.

I hated Arsterchef with a passion - hard to believe a programme could go downhill when Loyd Grossperson ceased to be associated with it - the bloke used to fake every "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" for way longer than it actually needed. Yes Loyd, the pear clafoutis (whatever a clafoutis is, Loyd seemed to think it needed no explanation) may have been nice, but you didn't have to "Meg Ryan" it.

TV Programmes I do not ever miss: QI, Top Gear (and Top Gear Australia - which is pretty much the same idea, but with a hat with corks hanging off the brim), Mock the Week, Mitchell & Webb - although I find myself listening more to the radio now (hurrah for iPlayer - and even more hurrah for linux and the ability to simply convert the realaudio streams into WAV/MP3 for playing in the car :D )

I like masterchef and its cheesy format
'John these are definitely the best three contestants we have ever seen!!!' (every week) 'Greg I can honestly say I have never tasted eggy bread as good as that in my entire life!! and she is only 17, what a pair I mean talent'

:D 'Cooking doesn't get tougher than this!!!'

antdad said:
Come on fella's don't you secretly wish the armed services would at least use live ammo for getting free advertising on the beeb...I've never seen such blatant propaganda. Come on boys, chase me chase me I'd like to take up the shi**er with a large barrel...sick. Lets see the disfigurements, disability, bodybags or jail cells that is where our "fine young troops" usually end up.

Yes, being obsessed about guns 'n' ammo in the UK does happily seem to be viewed with some suspicion generally.In fairness to him I think Clarkson is trying to do his bit for the armed forces and I heard he does help out some charities which provide assistance to injured soldiers and their families.

Pig Cat said:
Antdad, you are not alone in your dislikes of MC, but some of these annoyances are what keep me watching. It is fun to rant at the telly sometimes and take the piss out of some of things the contestants and presenters say. I do think that there needs to be more emphasis on the food than the glamourous locations and challenges they are given. Next year they'll be cooking for astronauts on the International Space Station.

Ever watched Screenwipe? See that Charlie Brooker? That's me that is.

The first time I watched it I turned to the wife (when I recovered my composure) and said, "See? See! It's not just me who rants and swears makes obscene gestures to the TV because it's made by morons for morons!" Of course, I don't get paid for it...

Back
Top Bottom