Too much lather?

I was rinsing my brush and bowl with warm water after what was another enjoyable shave when I realised just how much lather i'd been wasting.

I should just use less to save this from happening but it got me thinking about what other possible uses lather may have? So any ideas? apart from shaving my head or course nature is doing a good job of that itself!!

If you are a straight razor user, I've heard some people use the lather to sharpen the razor on a hone of some sort. Others have also mentioned using it to moisten or soften a leather strop periodically.

Shave before showering and then use the lather instead of shower gel? Paint the sink with the remainder and use it as a detergent to clean up? Put it in a small pot of whipped cream and use it as a practical joke?

I have the same issue. I suppose the ideal would be to reduce the loading until you had more or less the right amount. I think my problem would be that it would be 'or less' too often and then you get into the business of whipping up a bit more come the third pass.

dickiemcrich said:
I was rinsing my brush and bowl with warm water after what was another enjoyable shave when I realised just how much lather i'd been wasting.

I should just use less to save this from happening but it got me thinking about what other possible uses lather may have? So any ideas? apart from shaving my head or course nature is doing a good job of that itself!!

You must be in a reasonable water area - I wouldn't worry about it at the price of most creams and soaps - unless you're getting through a jar every couple of weeks that is.

Do a rough calculation on how long your puck/jar/stick whatever is lasting and work out a price per shave - maybe you'll decide it's not worth worrying about.

UKRob said:
You must be in a reasonable water area - I wouldn't worry about it at the price of most creams and soaps - unless you're getting through a jar every couple of weeks that is.

Do a rough calculation on how long your puck/jar/stick whatever is lasting and work out a price per shave - maybe you'll decide it's not worth worrying about.

+1.

I usually make a little shaving foam man - a bit like the Ardman character 'Morph' - out of the excess.

He sits on the window sill and tells me things and stuff.

Sometimes he is very naughty.

Yesterday he just kept saying "Kill them, kill them all".

Yes you can use the lather for honing but preferably on low grit/rough stones or on barber hones, the lather suggested to use on strop is MWF lather.
I usually give the leftover lather to my sun to wash his hands and face, especially proraso and Tobs sandalwood is his favorite

Back
Top Bottom