TOBS Scents

lou

Hey Fellow Shavers:

It's the Yank from across the Pond. I'm about to purchase my FIRST TOBS. What do you think is the BEST scent? I know that it is a matter of personal preference but I would lke some feedback. Thanks! Looking forward to replies.

Lou[/size][/font]

Jermyn Street is the best scent in my opinion, with Eton College in second place (although I have recently found out the tube and bowls smell slightly differently - I prefer the tube slightly).

Also really like Mr Taylors, St James and Lemon/Lime.

i love the jermyn st scent.. its subtle, classy and my girlfriend adores it. The aftershave and cologne have proper staying power too.

Their eton college is citrusy, fresh and has real zing about it. Smells great too, very sophisticated.

St-James has an aquatic sense about it, fresh, clean, and with a nice dry down.

Mr Taylor cologne smells nice, it has a lovely clove accent running through it, but its staying power is rubbish, within an hour i can no longer smell it on myself.

Have none of you tried the almond? To me that's the best, but I do like the luxury one too. The rose scented cream is good, it does keep it's lather very well, but I don't think the scent was so strong.

eneville said:
Have none of you tried the almond? To me that's the best, but I do like the luxury one too. The rose scented cream is good, it does keep it's lather very well, but I don't think the scent was so strong.

Rose and Almond are the only two I haven't tried and this is largely because I have not enjoyed Almond or Rose scents in other creams, so I'm not expecting to suddenly like the TOBS versions.

That said, I would never have previously said Almond was a scent I disliked, I was expecting to like it. I tried Cella and tried Trumpers Almond, but simply found the marzipan/almond scent to be far too sickly and overpowering. If TOBS Almond was more subtle, then maybe I would like it, but it's been suggested to me it's quite strong too.

In fact the suggestion I had was to try an Almond soap (DR Harris perhaps?) as this was likely to be milder scent wise and would just be a subtle hint of Almond, which may be acceptable.

Anyway, I know I answered this already, but this is my list of scent preference of the 10 I tried.

1. Jermyn Street
2. Eton College (prefer tube to bowl)
3. St James
4. Mr Taylor's
5. Lemon/Lime
6. Sensitive
7. Avocado
8. Shaving Shop
9. Lavender
10. Sandalwood

I sometimes use TOBS Sandalwood, I like the smell and lather, i thinks its a great shaving cream, however i won't be able to compare it with others as i haven't used another TOBS shaving cream. Some people say it smells like imperial leather soap, in my opinion its quite true and its not a bad smell either!! again i won't be able to compare the sandalwood smell as i havent used another sandalwood shaving cream.
I think TOBS sandalwood tube cream is great and love the smell but after that to keep the smell you got to use the sandalwood aftershave, and I find it bit expensive

Almond. Like being in the middle of a Patisserie at baking time with all the windows shut - I could imagine myself being followed around all summer by wasps after using this stuff.
Rose. Eau de Bordel.
Lemon & Lime. Agressively astringent.
Lavender. Too "Old Lady".
Sandalwood. Smells like a conman impersonating a retired Indian Army officer.
Eton College. Mature, Discreet Cologne-type.
Avocado. Ferny.

Back
Top Bottom