TOBS Creams in tub.

Hello Gents, I was wondering if that clear lid seal thing in tub lids, are functional or not because they keep coming off, they are annoying so I throw them. I wonder if they help to store the moisture and smell? I know it sounds bit strange but it was annoying.
thanks alot

They should seal the tub to help it stay fresh so to speak. I've found some come out easily some stay in. The ones that have come out I've put a smear of cream on the underside this has helped adhere them to the lid and they've stopped coming out

I've never noticed a seal, I'll have to have a look. I thought the twist lid would keep it perfectly fresh but then once I have a tub it's used within a year anyway so I probably wouldn't notice a deterioration.

I've had a couple of second hand tubes of cream recently and they've been shockingly dried out, they must have been years old to get in the state they were and it surprised me that tubes could let that much air in to have that large an effect.

Re: RE: TOBS Creams in tub.

Brianpilman said:
They should seal the tub to help it stay fresh so to speak. I've found some come out easily some stay in. The ones that have come out I've put a smear of cream on the underside this has helped adhere them to the lid and they've stopped coming out

I do the same as this, effectively glue the clear bit back into the lid with some shaving cream. You could I suppose just use glue, it will probably work better. I never thought of that before.

I chucked it as I kept forgetting it was there. None of my TOBS are more than half full so I should be OK. Some brands don't come with them (I think?) But maybe their containers are better

octopus said:
.........the clear inner lid keeps coming up but don't throw it away as it's essential to keep the moisture in

We are talking shaving creams here, aren't we. I open mine and stick a wet shaving brush into the cream - all the moisture needed. Apart from which, how is water going to migrate from the cream? It's not exactly a pressure seal we need.

I've always thought of these 'inner lids' as a transit device - to keep the cream in place and easy to clean off the cream that doesn't. Job done when I first open the tub, chuck the thing away. None of my many creams have dried out in my comfortably warm home.

Yeah I to reckon that they are just there to stop the cream getting onto the inside of the lid and then entering the threads of the lid causing messiness & sticking.

We could discuss the reasons for the inner lid being there for a long time, but I'm sure that TOBS have it there for some reason, so keep it.

Ian

Saw that yesterday.

Quite impressed by the number of new products introduced by the big names over the last few years.

Penhaligons ... entire Anthology range
Floris ... 6(?) new fragrances
Taylors ... Coconut and Grapefruit creams
Truefitt ... Sandalwood range and 1805 shaving soap
Harris ... Rose cream, Windsor range and new Eucalyptus cream
Trumper ... Spanish Leather cream and Eucris soap

Bechet45 said:
Do you apply the same logic to the transit bolts in a new washing machine, Ian?

The word "transit" in the name "transit bolts" specifies their purpose, and the instruction manual tells you that they need to be removed before the machine is used.

No instructions are supplied with a tub of TOBS cream, in my experience, so you would have to assume that if you are to keep the cream in that pot, the thin seal is there for a reason.

Ian

Just checked my pots and none of them have it, I can only think I binned it when I opened the pots.

No drying or cracking problems have reared their heads so far, as Carl rightly says I'm bunging a wet brush in the pot every time I use it so I have bigger issues than what appears to me to be a bit of plastic of a very disposable nature.

IanM said:
Bechet45 said:
Do you apply the same logic to the transit bolts in a new washing machine, Ian?

.....so you would have to assume that if you are to keep the cream in that pot, the thin seal is there for a reason.

Ian

That's what we're trying to get at, Ian - the assumption you make that it has a purpose after delivery.

A quich check of my pots of all shaving related creams, goos and unctions shows that the screw lid and the pot body all botton out/seal in one place or another, according to design - and none of them have the bit of plastic we're talking about 'cos I've chucked them all.

At the end of the day, some of us will chuck thhem and some of us will retain them.

I have always kept the clear plastic lids, assuming they made the tub seal.

I happen to have an empty tub at present, until I decide which soap I wish to put in it, so I conducted a highly scientific experiment.

I half filled said tub with water and put the lid on, without the clear plastic bit, turned the tub upside down and shook it a bit. No water leaked, although I could tell when I removed the lid there had been some seepage.

In summary, the clear plastic lids probably aren't required as the lids seal on these pots fairly well anyway, I suppose the pots do need a 100% solid seal in transit though just incase.

Whether you choose to keep the clear lid or not is personal preference, I think following my experiment I'll probably throw the next one away that falls out.

Back
Top Bottom