To open comb or to close comb......

I used to have pretty bad technique, and when I dared shaving one night with an OC I got a nasty surprise, very bad shave.
Thought back then that OCs are extremely aggressive, for very coarse beards and not for me.

Once I improved my technique, one day I took a '30s New and shaved with it. One of the best and closest shaves ever, I can tell you that. My skin is somewhat sensitive (if I am not careful when shaving) and I do not have a coarse beard. In addition, I always used to shave every two or three days and my beard grew not that fast.

Now that I have used OCs with success I shave daily and can easily alternate with closed comb ones (y'day I used a Merkur 11C, today a 33C, same blade brand, no probs whatsoever).
This would be unthinkable for me a year ago.

Do not listen to strict yes/no opinions on this, establish the right technique, know your face well, then you can more or less shave with anything you like or prefer.
It's how you use what you have, not just what you have. It's your skill that will get you there first, not the OC or closed comb. ;)

I have tried a couple of open comb razors. I had a Merkur 12C, and I have a Gillette Old Type with I think I've shaved with once.

The 12C didn't seem to shave any better than anything that already have, even though it felt like it was during the shave. I sold it.

The Old Type was purchased on a bit of a whim. I shaved with it once, but caught a mole that I have on my neck, which to ages to heal, so I have not used it since.

The only real way is to try one and see how it goes, but I found no particular advantage. OC's just seem like a slightly less-safe-ty razor.

Ian

Can't say I've ever found an enormous difference with the results of open & closed combs, however I've never persevered with OCs. That's because with my skin they tend to leave raised weals here or there (not actual abrasions) after I've used one. If I did use one regularly it would surely have to be the James Bond Merkur 11c (& yes, before I inadvertently divert the thread I do know that his was a Merkur produced for Hoffritz with a differing hatch marking).

JohnnyO. \ ;)

N_Architect said:
Do not listen to strict yes/no opinions on this, establish the right technique, know your face well, then you can more or less shave with anything you like or prefer. It's how you use what you have, not just what you have. It's your skill that will get you there first, not the OC or closed comb. ;)

I mainly agree but adjustable razors not withstanding I think it's fair to say that OC's are generally more aggressive than CC's and a new shaver as K and I both discovered should take the time to acquire all the skills with a less aggressive razor. When your touch and technique develop and you know your face a little better you can gradually introduce a more aggressive razor like an OC or adjustable if you wish. It's not or should it be for everybody but my OC NEW shaves are basically reduced to two passes every couple of days compared to an EJ 89 shave which would be a 3 to 4 passer for the equivalent result.

OC's are not better razors because they are more aggressive but they do require a different method of getting a similar result (experience does help) which should always be close enough but comfortable. Absolutely pointless skinning yourself with any razor if it hurts like hell for the next week.

I was just wondering, that's why I started this topic........

I bought a Goodfella razor which is open comb, expecting it to be more aggressive than a CC. Far from it! In fact I found it to be very mild. Too mild, I could not get anything like a close shave with it, and I thought it was destined to be one of those razors that you try once and never use again.

However I persevered and with a bit of attention ( okay a lot ) to blade angle and pressure I am now getting excellent shaves, as near as dammit as close as my Merkur Slantbar but with zero razor burn.

Perhaps not all closed comb razors are born equal! Maybe a Goodfella closed comb is not like anyone else's closed combs!

Confused? :? You bet! :lol: :lol: :lol:

JohnnyO said:
Perhaps when it comes to Ocs Shakespeare said it best Matt, "Confusion now hath made his masterpiece !"

JohnnyO. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Whatever, I seem to have found a razor that gives a great shave! It seemed a bit of a funny journey though! ;) :lol:

From time to time I use a (2009 model I think) Muhle R41 OC with a Derby blade - as recommended by Boab - and it is an absolutely excellent combination, for me. [Note to self; that's my next rotation sorted.] I also tried their older model OC and it was the most brutal piece of kit I have ever used - it was promptly binned.

:oops: Embarrassing confession time: some time ago, when I first looked into OC shaving it was always advertised as the ideal solution for longer hair. I have a full head of hair ergo shaving the head was out, so I shaved my armpits as an experiment. Wow! All gone in two passes - how 'metro' to boot, eh? So the upshot is that they are great for longer hair! :lol:

It took me twenty odd years of DE shaving before I got round to trying an open comb, more fool me. I've only tried two, a very old brassy Gillette and a New (cheers Tony), but both were very good. There doesn't seem to be that much difference in the final result compared to closed comb models, but there does seem to be a bit more bite, which suits me fine. I still have the New, and it's a favourite.

mattlad said:
I was just wondering, that's why I started this topic........

I bought a Goodfella razor which is open comb, expecting it to be more aggressive than a CC. Far from it! In fact I found it to be very mild. Too mild, I could not get anything like a close shave with it, and I thought it was destined to be one of those razors that you try once and never use again.

However I persevered and with a bit of attention ( okay a lot ) to blade angle and pressure I am now getting excellent shaves, as near as dammit as close as my Merkur Slantbar but with zero razor burn.

I haven't tried the Goodfella OC but I suspect as with many modern OC's the blade gap is relatively small and so is the sweet spot, as you've discovered they are efficient if you get the angle and pressure just right.

I find my OC iKon to give me a very close shave with very few passes or re-touching. Works best with a sharp blade like a Feather or Super-Thin for me. Slightly less aggressive than a Gillette New OC, which needs a little bit more care and attention.

Back
Top Bottom