TKMax

My local store is very organised.
That’s my experience with the two stores near us. What frustrates me is the limited selection of quality men’s clothing. When they have some it’s very good, but it’s not often. On the other hand, the selection of quality women’s clothing seems endless; when my wife enters one of their stores she rarely fails to come out empty handed. But isn’t that the truth about women’s vs men’s clothing In general.

I'm not keen on going to the shops at the best of times. TKM just makes it that little bit harder! However I do go in sometimes if I'm passing because you can get some good deals if you actually needed the thing anyway. I got a Napapijri Goretex shell coat for I think £69 of her majesty's beer tokens, nothing wrong with it, probably clearance for last year's models or some overstock reasons, and anyone knows anything with Goretex is North of £200 even without a poncy name on. Had a few shaving bargains too, only one I regret was a Cremo stick. Looked like one of those dry deodorant sticks, smelt nice, and felt like it should perform, but I never had a good shave with it. It also lasted no time at all, so pence per shave it was pants also.

That’s my experience with the two stores near us. What frustrates me is the limited selection of quality men’s clothing. When they have some it’s very good, but it’s not often. On the other hand, the selection of quality women’s clothing seems endless; when my wife enters one of their stores she rarely fails to come out empty handed. But isn’t that the truth about women’s vs men’s clothing In general.
I don't buy clothing from TK Maxx. I buy soaps, Marseille liquid soaps, German made pedicure products, bed sheets, Italian chocolate, hot sauces, feather duvets, and the odd fragrance. Being 2XL I don't even bother looking for clothing.

I buy John Smedley, Smyth and Gibson, and Lands End online.

By coincidence, I walked into a store recently. Wasn't impressed with their wet shaving & fragrance offerings. All I could find were a few bottle of Azzaro Pour Homme in various sizes. Didn't buy any as they didn't have price tags and some were actually previously opened.

I don't buy clothing from TK Maxx. I buy soaps, Marseille liquid soaps, German made pedicure products, bed sheets, Italian chocolate, hot sauces, feather duvets, and the odd fragrance. Being 2XL I don't even bother looking for clothing.

I buy John Smedley, Smyth and Gibson, and Lands End online.
I bought these yesterday. The wild lavender is great...

20220327_173242.jpg

Today I got 2x 150Ml tubs of Proraso Green Eucalyptus and Menthol shave soap for just £2.49 each in my local TK-Max (y). I have used it in the past and really liked the scent and kick from it, although whether it actually makes any difference to the shave is another thing. Couldn't resist at that price :D

They had quite a few tubes of the red shave cream "for tough beards", but i passed on that.

"For tough beards"
Presumably for Conor McGregor then? I probably wouldn't nick his shaving cream either tbf. But I have got my own tube of Proraso red which I got from TK. Its OK, works well and ticks off sandalwood in my den. I like it well enough but I'm not a sandalwood 'enthusiast'.

Last edited:
Reactions: PHR
I think it also had Shea Butter in it - I am guessing a shave cream "for tough beards" must have plenty of moisturisers / hair conditioners in it.

One of the first shave products i bought when i got into DE shaving was a tub of Green Proraso and the smell of this new one has bought back good memories.

I still have half a jar of the Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol Pre-Shave cream, which does do something to make for a slightly better shave, but i am nowadays of the opinion that washing your face with soap and water pre-shave probably help just as much.

I am still having a lot of fun playing round with the settings on my Merkur Progress and using different shave creams. I am sticking with Astra SP blades in it for now to have a reference point.

Its not as linear a progression on the settings dial as i first expected, but i do now know exactly where it needs to be for light / medium / close shaves with that blade.

On very low settings of less than 1 its as safe and predictable feeling as a cartridge razor and is perfect for an evening top-up shave when i am going out and need to lose the 5 O'Clock shadow.

On setting 5 it needs all my concentration or it will give me a bite, especially around the chin and lips, but boy is it a satisfying, close shave.

Its very versatile and I love it a lot :love:

I think it also had Shea Butter in it - I am guessing a shave cream "for tough beards" must have plenty of moisturisers / hair conditioners in it.

One of the first shave products i bought when i got into DE shaving was a tub of Green Proraso and the smell of this new one has bought back good memories.

I still have half a jar of the Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol Pre-Shave cream, which does do something to make for a slightly better shave, but i am nowadays of the opinion that washing your face with soap and water pre-shave probably help just as much.

I am still having a lot of fun playing round with the settings on my Merkur Progress and using different shave creams. I am sticking with Astra SP blades in it for now to have a reference point.

Its not as linear a progression on the settings dial as i first expected, but i do now know exactly where it needs to be for light / medium / close shaves with that blade.

On very low settings of less than 1 its as safe and predictable feeling as a cartridge razor and is perfect for an evening top-up shave when i am going out and need to lose the 5 O'Clock shadow.

On setting 5 it needs all my concentration or it will give me a bite, especially around the chin and lips, but boy is it a satisfying, close shave.

Its very versatile and I love it a lot :love:
Proraso Red was my first shaving cream. I enjoy the scent and it takes me back so I know what you mean by the effect of the Green on you.

I also think Proraso Green is one of the greatest scents in Shavingdom but I may be alone in that.

Glad I read this is as my partner wanted to change something in tkmax, so I went along with her and got a tub. They also had a de razor and a brush there as well.

Back
Top Bottom