Third Pass Equals Thin Lather

A few newbies have contacted me over the past few weeks, saying that no matter what soap or cream they are using the lather is always thin and weak when they get to the third pass. Most people follow this routine...

1. Wash face, or rinse and leave wet
2. Create lather on brush
3 Lather face
4. shave (1st pass)
5. Rinse off lather
6. Re-lather face
7. Shave (2nd pass)
8. Rinse off lather
9. Re-lather face
10. Shave (3rd pass)

What they perhaps don't realise is that it is amazing how much water the surface area of the face will hold when wet. So by the time they've lathered for the third pass they have already diluted the soap a further three times.

When you create the lather at the beginning of the shave, and you are happy with the thickness and consistency of the soap/cream, to keep it like that, simply dry your face after rinsing after each pass, and apply the lather to dry skin for each new pass, this way you won't be diluting the lather for each new pass. There is already plenty of moisture in the lather, you don't more on the skin surface as well.

So if this is you, try drying your face after each pass and see the difference in the quality of the lather by the time you get to the third pass.

Martin.

I had the same issue. Now I either don't rinse between passes or a damp hand just to clear off any over run.

Not rinsing has reduced the amount of faff and also my bathroom isn't as wet either. I also get 3 passes of perfect lather :)

FrenchBlade said:
I have exactly the opposite problem, hence me relathering on a wet face!
I always find that second and third pass need a very wet face.. maybe my brush is overloaded..

As they say, YMMV :D

Max

I'm the same - if I don't wet my face thoroughly before relathering, the lather seems dry and the blade doesn't glide properly.

I confess I have never had a problem with the amount of lather available. If I create lather in a bowl there's always enough for several passes. If I face lather with soaps, I just refresh the brush with a few more swirls on the soap for second and subsequent passes. So there is always enough lather with the consistency I require.

Simple - thin lather is either too much water or too little product... so stop rinisng between passes - its not needed with properly hydrated lather.

I have tried both methods, and for me, I prefer to rinse between each pass. That said, I do sort of at least remove the loose droplets from my face before relathing. Perhaps it's a middle ground between the two camps ;) The key thing is to experiment as you will soon find out which method you prefer.

I guess that's the great thing about this - by trying all sorts of methods and techniques, you find what suits you and your face.

Paul

Have had this problem myself back when started, i found pushing my hands down my face to sort of push off the water worked, rather then drying.

I rinsed between passes at first and realised quickly this was a bad idea for me, it caused a lot of irritation. certainly do plenty or rinsing before you start but do not rinse your face between passes. If you lather is right to start with it won't get too thick and if it does dry a bit it is easier to add water than take it away. I totally agree that you need not look like a rabid dog with foam, a nice even coat of creamy lather is the the aim for me.

Thats an interesting post, thanks Martin. I've realised I subconsciously do similar anyway. I tend to wipe my face off between passes with a damp hand, rather than wet it as such. I then find the lather quality remains the same throughout, and as the lather naturally reduces it works well in applying less to the face for the final passes.

Back
Top Bottom