Things you don't see anymore

You don't now see the aerosol cans of fake spray snow that you used to get for Xmas window decorating (the other thread about supermarkets already flogging Xmas Tat was what made me think of it )

.... Or the wooden boxes of dates that used to be sold in the run up to Xmas ( its one of the few things my Dad got really giddy about - his Xmas box of dates)
The brand 'Eat-Me' comes to mind. I used to make barge-shaped boats out of the empty boxes when I was a boy.

I'm obviously a filth monger but that brand of dates elicited sniggers the first time I saw it. The marketing people in whatever country they are produced in probably thought it was the perfect 'call to action' as advertisers like to say but probably a bit lost in translation. I just thought "ooh, bit forward for a first date!"

Last edited:
"Proper" switchboards. You know, the kind that used to be manned by a person, instead of a bloody machine.

How I miss those days, when you could ring up someone or a company and actually get through to a real human being. Now, it's all "Press 1 for so-and-so", or "Press 2 to do that", and so on. It seems as though almost all phone numbers are automated these days. Things have changed, but in my opinion it's not for the better.

The only clearances Norton have done lately is Stuart Garner clearing off with all the pension funds. He was convicted but essentially let off! You imagine if it was the DWP who he fleeced of £11M and imagine the leniency being somewhat different!!

I hear they've been taken over and new production will start, I hope the people who lost out will get something.

Workmen in overalls.

A badge of honour, trustworthy whether he is papering your hall, sorting the plumbing or doing the valve clearance on your Norton.

View attachment 94515
I haven't seen a workman in overalls for at least 20 years, maybe more.

Do mechanics still wear them? I couldn't say for sure, as I don't visit garages very often (thankfully).

They seem to be a thing of the past now. Just a distant memory.

"Proper" switchboards. You know, the kind that used to be manned by a person, instead of a bloody machine.

How I miss those days, when you could ring up someone or a company and actually get through to a real human being. Now, it's all "Press 1 for so-and-so", or "Press 2 to do that", and so on. It seems as though almost all phone numbers are automated these days. Things have changed, but in my opinion it's not for the better.
"We are experiencing unusually high call volumes"

EVERY time. It's not unusual then, is it?!!

"We are experiencing unusually high call volumes"

EVERY time. It's not unusual then, is it?!!
This is very true. It seems to have got even worse since the pandemic, when companies were working with fewer staff. You would imagine that it would have improved now that more people are back at work again, but this doesn't seem to be the case....

Besides, if someone had paid me £5 for every time I had heard that on a phonecall, I would be richer than the Sultan of Brunei...

I haven't seen a workman in overalls for at least 20 years, maybe more.

Do mechanics still wear them? I couldn't say for sure, as I don't visit garages very often (thankfully).

They seem to be a thing of the past now. Just a distant memory.
I remember postmen in grey uniforms, complete with peaked cap. Nowadays, it's shorts. Which I suppose makes sense in the hotter weather. But there was a dignity and pride in that old uniform.

I remember postmen in grey uniforms, complete with peaked cap. Nowadays, it's shorts. Which I suppose makes sense in the hotter weather. But there was a dignity and pride in that old uniform.
I respect anyone who can wear shorts year round in the UK!

postman pat GIF

Back
Top Bottom