The Wilkinson Sword Upgrade Project

Love it or hate it, the WS boar brush has one thing going for it that we can all agree on - It's cheap. Cheaper in fact than a pint in most London bars. I bought one a while back and fell firmly into the 'hate' camp - I thought it was the worst brush I'd ever used.

Following a period of a few months banished to the cupboard, I got the brush out and gave it another go. I've been using a 26mm SilverTip for everyday shaving, and a some mornings I could do with a quick, one pass shave that doesn't leave me with a whole bowl of lather left over. The WS seemed to be worth another go, so I gave it a squeeze of suitable cream (Palmolive) and had a quick shave. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised - I think I had been trying to use it with soaps and had little success.

So, on to the 'project' part....

Having decided I would make the brush part of my weekly shave, I still struggled with the aesthetics:

034572.jpg

It has an ugly, oval plastic handle that feels odd in the hand and looks worse on the shelf...

So, here's what I did:

1. Locate suitable precision implement for knot extraction:
hammer1.jpg

2. Place plastic handle on solid surface

3. Bash handle at widest point until the knot popped out:
3995657088_3ff43a986f_m.jpg

4. After measuring the knot size (21mm at base), turn a more fitting handle for the knot

5. Attach:
3994854961_373306ef36.jpg

:mrgreen:

Thats a really nice idea, the wilkinson knot is actually quite nice quality for the price, takes months to bloom ,but mine is two years old now and is really nice to use.

Nice handle -- it's almost a pity to waste it on such a knot...

BTW, where do you get the silver rings from, or do you make 'em yourself?

Ow, shoot, wasn't looking right. This ring came with the original knot, right?

;-)

henkverhaar said:
Nice handle -- it's almost a pity to waste it on such a knot...

I agree with Henk on this one...very nice handle shame about the knot.

Don't do it Neo honour your workmanship with something better or if you have to stick it with something less permanent than epoxy.

Back
Top Bottom