The Profs Tuxedo AS

I was one of the lucky winners of a bottle of Tuxedo aftershave in Prof Bighty's raffle and would like to say a big thank you to the Prof for holding this raffle.
I got home from work last night and the parcel was waiting for me. First impressions were great. A black bottle with a bow tie. Nice touch. And the scent….wonderful.:icon_razz:
The AS got its first outing today and I have to say it smells fantastic. I managed to spot vanilla and dewberry but the other fragrances are unknown to me in any case. The combination however works very well.
Today was the first time in ages I managed to nick myself shaving but even so there was very little ‘sting' when applied. My skin was left feeling smooth and the fruity smell (which is strong at first) quickly faded to a pleasant background which lasted for ages. In fact if I rub my face I can still smell it.( I shaved at 10 o'clock.)
Definitely a going out type of fragrance rather than an every day one, for me anyway. I can't praise it enough. I love the smell!!!
IMHO this is a great product and it can only enhance to Profs reputation. I have tried other products from the Prof and this is among his best.
I can imagine the cologne will be just as good.

I too was a lucky recipient of the Tuxedo Aftershave. Thanks very much Martin.
I had never been one for wearing a traditional aftershave as I have only been shaving with a DE blade for less than a year.
My very first aftershave was another of the Prof's, the sublime ‘Harlequin'. I love the organic fruity smell of Harlequin so that was my benchmark.

Firstly, the bottle.
A very nice touch to tailor the bottle to the product, black tux with bow tie. Only downside (to me) is I prefer to spray the aftershave onto my face then rub in, whereas this bottle had the more traditional splash. A very minor point and not really one to put you off buying it.

The scent.
Initially very fruity, which puts it in a similar category as the Harlequin. The combination of Vanilla and the fruits makes it quite a similar smell to coconut oil.
It's definitely nothing like the more mainstream aftershaves on the shelf which often have a chemical smell to them that attack the back of the throat. This is a very pleasant smell.
The main fruity scent lasts a good 10 minutes and then settles down to leave a very subtle background smell, mainly of vanilla. I like vanilla so this is very welcome.
Now I'm about 5 hours after applying it and I can only just make out the smell, but a quick rub of my face and the vanilla returns.
Update: now about 10 hours since applying, no obvious scent, but again a quick rub of the face gives a quick vanilla blast.

The sting. Yes it is there, quite mild and very brief. Certainly nothing to put you off the product and no different to other aftershaves. I don't use alum very often, so this aftershave was applied directly after a shave with a quick towel pat dry.

So, it's a smell that I like. It's initially strong but not overpowering. Would I chose it over Harlequin? That's a tough decision. Perhaps I should let the other people in my life help decide. Below are some comments from my family.

Erin, 4 year old daughter “Your perfume smells nice dad”
Harrison, 10 year old son “Is that your aftershave I can smell, that smells nice”
Charlie, 8 year old son… well he just shrugged and mumbled something about the Xbox.
Most importantly, my wife.
First comment was “smells like something from the Body Shop”, which highlights how natural it smells.
Later on she commented that she really liked it as it had by then settled from being fruity to more Vanilla. She spent most of Sunday afternoon sniffing me as she knew I was testing it out.

My only other comment would be, a matching shaving soap would go down a treat. Maybe with a cummerbund tied around the tub.

So, I like it, my family like it.
Will I buy it in the future?
Yes, definitely.

Lucky guys, nice write ups too. I'll be keeping my eyes out for when this hits the shelves, sounds like a very nice AS I'd like to try out, might be worth combining this with Jason's thread about test scents in atomisers. Give a few of us unlucky not to win. Just my opinion. :)

My cologne arrived today.
I was on holiday when the batches were sent out, and had asked to prof to withold sending until my return.

I also ordered some universal balsam and yellow ginger as I have smelly stuff acquisition disorder.

The Cologne is great! I am not great at reviewing things like this, I can't immediately bring out certain notes.
I agree the initial nose is fruity. Fruity to the point that I thought it would be a great day time aftershave, not just evening. Nice fresh summer fruitiness :)

As others have noted, the smell alters with time and the vanilla definately comes through.
My inital thoughts were that it reminded me of juicy fruit chewing gum, but when the vanilla comes through I felt it reminded me of the Paco Rabanne fragrance "Million".
But, as has been mentioned above, without the chemically manufactured smell.

This is a very fine fragrance.

Well done Martin!

Used it for the first time tonite after my evening shave. Nice summer fragrance. Did a squirt and it had a nice fresh scent that I'll try again in the morning and see how it lasts through the day. Thank you!

As I originally said, I believe that the name and the appearance of the product are very clever. I have to admit, that by the photo the bottle seemed like something plastic and very cheap. But when I touched it, I found out that was wrong.
By applying it, the first notes are very earthy and remind me of summer. There is a strong presence of fruits, mostly pears. Sweet, ripe and very pleasant. Then, about half an hour later you can understand the vanilla.
After 2-3 hours, the smell is still there. Now the essence has changed somewhat. Sweet but also a little citrusy. It reminds me berries or even a bit of strawberry (?).
Generally it has a constant but discreet presence. Not tiring at all. I am not sure if I would choose it as EDT for a formal occasion, like a wedding for example. But after using it every day, for a week, I can definitely say that it can justify Professor's description, as “evening cologne” and definitely I would choose it as ASL. Especially in summer conditions, as those prevailing now in Greece.

Update.
Almost exactly a year has passed since I was very kindly donated a bottle of Tuxedo to review.
Good news, its been a favourite scent of my wife and I. It has lasted a year! with occasional rotation to another of Prof Blighty's; Harlequin. That is amazing value for money.

But now the bad news. Martin has had to retire it from the line-up. A real shame, but these things happen in the shaving world. Perhaps I should have stock-piled a litre of it.

I only have a few more days use of my bottle, then I have to make a difficult decision with which other scents to order from Martin.

Johnus said:
Used it for the first time tonite after my evening shave. Nice summer fragrance. Did a squirt and it had a nice fresh scent that I'll try again in the morning and see how it lasts through the day. Thank you!

Hard to believe its been a year!

RE: The Profs Tuxedo AS ** COMPLETE **

I have a pot of the Prof's Tuxedo Universal Shaving Balsam. The aroma just is not me. It is totally unused. It is yours for the price of shipping.

First PM gets it!

David

Back
Top Bottom