The perfect Shaving Bowl

You'll probably get several different answers to this one.

Personally, I prefer bowls that are shallow enough to prevent the handle of the brush from clunking against the sides. On that basis, I'd personally go for something at about 45mm. Because the bowl is quite shallow, I like it to have quite a large diameter so that it can still hold plenty of lather. My bowl is 135mm wide, and I find that adequate.

Quite close:

This is 13 cm across inside the top of the bowl and a depth of 5. 5 cm. The ridges provide excellent friction for the lather. This is a superb performer.

DSCN1247.jpg

Made by my local potter for £12.

I think its relative to the individual and how much experience one has over another person's experience... :shave
Whatever you wish to create as far as a larger bowl vs a smaller one will probably make more people happier.. :mrgreen:

B

Between lather being slippery stuff and my occasional hamfistedness, I favour a cheap and cheerful plastic bowl usually. Dropping a heavy earthenware one on my foot doesn't appeal. So the ideal one would be roughly to Fido's spec, but in polypropylene.

CMOT said:
Just wondering if it was possible to come up with a specification for the ideal shaving bowl ?

Presuming I can find a potter to make a custom item locally what would you folks suggest?

Wide and shallow, with a steep rim. This type of design will prevent spilling lather over the sides of the bowl. If you want heat retention, you'll have to consider a double wall, heavy ceramic wall, or an unfinished (unglazed) outer surface -all of which would facilitate heat retention after immersion in hot water. Or just thick-walled, well varnished wood.

My preference is for a 12-14 cm inner diameter, 2-3 cm depth

This shape works well for me, at 11.5 x 8.5 it is deep enough to use a Polo 8 without spatter but I can still use a Wee Scott; granted half of my knuckles are inside the rim of the bowl but there is plenty of room for my hand to swirl the brush at the bottom. Not saying it is perfect for you; just an idea.

NewLatherMug01.jpg

Ive had this for a few weeks now and love it.
bowl001-1.jpg

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shaving-Mug-Bowl-2T-Handmade-Woodhead-Studio-Pottery-/270657630314?pt=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&hash=item3f0473b06a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shaving-Mug-Bowl- ... 3f0473b06a</a><!-- m -->

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I like the idea of custom made and I appreciate Henk's comments about heat retention.

Time for a bit more pondering then chat to a potter I think :D

I have used just about everything as a shaving bowl. Even the cup of my thermos bottle when camping and my mess cup while in the army.
The best i have ever used is made by WOODHEAD pottery and can be found on ebay under shaving bowl or scuttle.
It is a two part bowl in one. An inner bowl with ridges that helps building up a lather and an outer that is filled with hot water to keep the
lather hot. I use hot tap water to soak my brush and to prewarm the outer. When ready to lather up, i empty both parts and fill outer with boiling
water from the kettle. This will keep lather very hot through three passes easily. There are two sizes mainly....medium and large. The medium size
suits me very well. In fact, i think the large would be too big. I notice that he has done another model of this type that is deeper than the one i have
which looks very good.
I would post a photo, but the one i have is too big to put on here and i'm not computer savvy enough yet to know how to reduce it.

AN "OLD" YANK IN BRITAIN

CMOT said:
Just wondering if it was possible to come up with a specification for the ideal shaving bowl ?

Presuming I can find a potter to make a custom item locally what would you folks suggest?

Check out ebay shaving bowls or scuttles for those made by WOODHEAD pottery. I have one of the medium size two in one scuttles.
These have a lathering section surrounded by a hollow outer to hold hot water. I use hot tap water to prewarm the outer and to soak my brush.
When ready to lather up, i empty both sections and fill outer with boiling water from the kettle which will keep lather hot through at least
three passes. The large size,in my humble opinion, is too large. Medium is big enough. This is the best i've ever used and well worth the £30

My photo is too large or i would post it here for you.

AN "OLD" YANK IN BRITAIN

I use a terracotta bowl from Marks and Spencers that once housed some Greek meatballs, and then another terracotta bowl that once housed food from Sainsburys, shallower in depth, sits nice and snug on top.

Works for me.

Back
Top Bottom