The New iPhones

My daughter's last phone (no, I can't remember what make/model) had face recognition to get into it. Fortunately, the toddler dunked it in the toilet a couple of weeks ago, so now no risk of a mugger needing to steal her face as well.:)
I have iPhone5 and happy enough with it, although would like the screen to be a bit bigger. Stuck on contract for the foreseeable, so glad that the changes mentioned don't sound irresistable. I'm actually quite happy with the camera, but I'm no expert, just taking snaps.

Big.Dave said:
Had a look at look at the hack pretty much the standard way for getting passed a print scanner

well I never knew there was a standard for bypassing these biometric checks?

mattyb240 said:
tarbyonline said:
ShavingAl said:
Does the "S" stand for Same?

As for the 5C … the entry level phone to help Apple gain lower end market share from android …. From only £469

Thought they where having a laugh with this pricing. Especially when you can have the faster Nexus 4 (which isn't totally plastic either) for under £200 now - iirc the Xperia Z can be had for the same sort of money as the 5c and I know which one I would rather have! I never thought the iphones lived up to the hype but the last couple of releases have been very underwhelming. The finger print sensor seems to be the big "innovation" on the 5s but Motorola where doing this as far back as 2011 and dropped it so will be interesting to see if it catches on now. No doubt the iSheep will flock to part with their cash as usual and bore us all with how Apple invented everything.

Not going to start a flame war as the Nexus 4 is a wicked little thing for the money. You do realise Apple don't claim to invent this, they just do what other people do but better. Everyone knows Motorola's implementation was terrible and clunky. It's about the Eco system not the feature list, no point having all of the gimmicks if you don't use them or are relevant to what you use it for.

Big.Dave said:
GorbalsRazor said:
I was discussing the wisdom of the fingerprint scanner yesterday. There are two scenarios I can think of that make it a pain.
1 - letting someone borrow your phone for half an hour to make some calls.
2 - getting mugged for your £500 phone and your assailant saying "sorry, but I need your thumb as well."

Yep that could happen.

I'm not sure you could just turn off find my iphone with just a finger print you would need apple id as well. So nicking an iphone is still high risk like getting your photo taken and location reported.

This.

Didn't mean to imply they claim they invented it, just the whole world always bangs on how great Apple are when really they are just a software firm who use other peoples technology and manufacturing expertise to create a product then make it desirable by inflating the price and popping a bit of their own software on it. The ironic thing about the finger print unlock was the fact that a bug was found within hours which allowed anyone to access certain features while the phone was "locked". Now it has been reported that the technology itself has been cracked which was inevitable (as with all security people view it as a challenge to break it).

The new processor is meant to be about the fastest on the market (despite claims by many to the contrary who don't know anything about processor architecture), though it will probably be bettered in the near future. I think the switch to 64bit was a smart move as well as it gives them a couple of years head start before all phone processors are 64 bit. I've been hearing mixed things about the OS but not used it myself yet so won't comment one way or the other.

I wouldn't say that Apple do things better than anyone else. For example the original iPod was terrible as a music player (due to the sound quality) but was backed by a huge marketing campaign and they got the timing just right as mp3 was just starting to really catch on, the original iPhone didn't support 3g despite many of the worlds networks being 3g by that stage and the call quality was poor compared to most competitors, the iPhone 4 (? I think it was) had to have a case on it to not loose reception when being held, and even good old iTunes (which is my media player of choice on my PC) used to be notoriously buggy. Apple Maps (or whatever it is called) is still getting things horribly wrong with many using Google maps now instead, though looking at the companies Apple have been buying lately I'm sure they will get there pretty soon.

That's the thing about Apple though, they generally fix things quite quickly whereas other brands tend to just move on to the next product with the fix being to buy the new model (Yes Sony, I'm talking about you!). The beauty of the iPhone's and iPad's is the amount of control Apple have so they don't have to worry about millions of different combinations of processor, ram, screens, etc, etc. Likewise with Macs there are a limited number of possible combinations of components from a limited number of manufacturers so its easier to get it right first time. However the penalty the user pays is less choice over specification and no competition to drive prices down as only Apple supply the hardware, and if they get it wrong then everybody is affected as its not just one hardware combination of millions that has problems with drivers for example.

Like anything it comes down to personal preference. I fancied having a go with OSX - did I buy a Mac? No, I installed it on my PC which just happens to be fully compatible (Wish Microsoft could offer the same pricing for their OS's as Apple do!). I laugh when people say that a Mac is more reliable, etc, etc when in fact its just a PC with a fancy case and a non windows OS installed. Not too sure about the iPhone 5c BTW, seems to be almost devaluing the brand.

RE find my iPhone, I would hope that it doesn't just rely on the fingerprint to enable a change in its status. However is it really any different to demanding the password of the owner (for phones without fingerprint technology) instead of cutting their finger off? This is a feature that is available on other phones BTW, as is the take a picture and report location thing. However someone will probably come up with a device that allows the phone to be completely reset to factory defaults (or other configuration) when connected anyway.

To access "Find my iPhone" you need your apple i.d. So even if you can access the phone you cannot remove this feature. This came in on the release of IOS7 (I think), also this covers any Apple products on this service. So my pad and macbook operate on the same set up.
I have IOS7 on my 4s and have to admit it is an improvement on the previous system. It has a number of features that I like.
But the Apple/Android/PC argument will carry on, just buy what you want to buy. After all its your money.

missingskin said:
To access "Find my iPhone" you need your apple i.d. So even if you can access the phone you cannot remove this feature. This came in on the release of IOS7 (I think), also this covers any Apple products on this service. So my pad and macbook operate on the same set up.
I have IOS7 on my 4s and have to admit it is an improvement on the previous system. It has a number of features that I like.
But the Apple/Android/PC argument will carry on, just buy what you want to buy. After all its your money.

You are correct. And well said that man!

hunnymonster said:
Boab said:
Big.Dave said:
Had a look at look at the hack pretty much the standard way for getting passed a print scanner

well I never knew there was a standard for bypassing these biometric checks?

It's not like it's a British Standard kitemarked test... but it is pretty much standard mode of operation on doing it.

Yes to be honest beating biometric systems is not rocket science.

In fact all computer security is breakable because pc cannot generate true random numbers. only a few can but that involves detecting electrons emitted from circuit boards and fluctuations in temp is one method of doing it. The only official machine I know of that does that is ERNIE and it picks the premium bond numbers There are no other machines that do this Nudge Nudge ;);) mums the word.

But if you read the news you'll have read that certain agencies have broken all online security, banking security and so on, no mean feat but the task would be a lot easier if you had access to a Quantum computer if they existed ;)

Back
Top Bottom