The Kamisori Kropp?

Just finished this little project, I had a broken Kropp I kept from a previous restore, and a few lenghts of Sapele hardwood, and a couple of red fibre liners i purchased some years ago thinking one day I would have a go at making my own knife, but they ended up on the Sheffield Kropp, I have honed this razor and it's the first razor that will pass the hanging hair test right along the entire lenght of the blade, I must admit to being quite pleased with myself for that, I know there's a school of thought that say that it doesn't mean a great deal, I think when starting off honing you must have a level of sharpness in your head which you want to achieve, and the hanging hair test was mine, that as been my goal since I started honing my own razors, and that's only on a 6000 and 8000 stone then my two strops, I may invest in a 12000 stone in the future but who knows. well I hope you enjoy the photo's.

Jamie

003-4.jpg

004-6.jpg

005-5.jpg

Ever nice. It's something that you can be proud of. It's great to know that you have the skill to be able to make a useful object like this.

Very nice I have got a razor ready to do this to however I can't get myself motivated to get it done. Report back with how it shaves and it might get me into the garage to get it finished.

Exile said:
Very nice I have got a razor ready to do this to however I can't get myself motivated to get it done. Report back with how it shaves and it might get me into the garage to get it finished.

Hi Graham I will give it a go, first impressions are very promising it's very comfortable to hold seems very manoeuvrable, and i'm certain it could deliver a great shave.

Regards Jamie.

Well, it certainly looks less daunting than a true kamisori, or one of those microtome conversions you see from time to time. Another nice job Jamie, even though I loath sapele.

With regard to the hanging hair test, it's very useful indeed to the person who does the honing, but there seem to be some blades which just refuse to play ball. A while ago I had a frustrating time with a stainless razor which obstinately refused to pass the HHT cleanly no matter what I did. Very irritating as the other razor I honed at the same time (a carbon one of course) sailed through without even popping the hairs. Come the shave test, there wasn't any appreciable difference between them - so I wouldn't get too hung up on it.

I fully understand where you are comming from Andy regarding the HHT as you know being a custom knife collector many years before getting into straight razors, I know there can be a big difference between certain high grade steels when you sharpen them, the difference between a ZDP 189 steel to a VG10 is big and they are totally different when it comes to honing, I myself have a liking for the Japanese VG10 blade steel, that's why a lot of my knives come with that steel, you can also get a few high end Japanese Chef knives in VG10 even though I dont have any chef knives in that steel I would love to have a few, I suppose I will have to make do with my Henckels proffessional set.

Regards Jamie.

Back
Top Bottom