The Grand National

I'm not a gambling man. But I keep an account at Ladbrokes to indulge a regular elderly visitor. When he visits he puts a few bob on a few horses and we have great fun watching him lose his money.

I checked my balance today. £1.82.

So I put 90p each way on Tony McCoy's horse.

I'll have to top up the account if it loses. My old fellow will be here in a fortnight.

My old man once put on such a complicated bet with a small-time bookie and won so much money (£10,000 in the early 70's) that the bookie offered my Dad his shop as part-payment. He refused, was paid in cash installments, and I ended up with a teddy bear that was twice the size of me at the time.

Although football betting is more my thing, today I will be having a cheeky punt on Killyglen even though no-one else seems to fancy it.

My son (12) has learned how to read the form guide so has gone for Ballabriggs.

My wife picked a horse whose jockey is wearing pink.

All the kids have and I have picked a horse with a pound on the nose on each.

I let them chose their own horse as I learned my lesson a couple of years ago after talking my wife out of betting on the 100-1 Mon Mone.

I'm not that much of a gambler (maybe 3 times a year) but today is one of those days, and historically I've done quite well. I've picked two, and my wife has picked one based on the fact it has a doris on its back. ;-)

I managed to lose £3.90 after adding According to Pete to my bet.

My old boy who likes a bet backed 5 horses and one came third.

A lot of fun again, and another example of why I don't gamble much.

And what a finish. A nostril did it.

I'm surprised nobody noticed our very own Sunburyboy was got up in his best pantomime garb and narrowly missed the win. Bad luck Steve, it was very close. I suppose the idea of another man riding you with a whip was too good to resist...:icon_rolleyes:

Pig Cat said:
I'm surprised nobody noticed our very own Sunburyboy was got up in his best pantomime garb and narrowly missed the win. Bad luck Steve, it was very close. I suppose the idea of another man riding you with a whip was too good to resist...:icon_rolleyes:

Was Steve the front or the back, and who was the other guilty party?

I can just picture a pantomime horse like the one from Rentaghost sprinting down the course. It'd be great!

I didn't partake yesterday as I don't agree with the Grand National.

I'm no tree-hugging bunny lover, nor do I have nothing against horse racing or breeding horse to race, or people spending their own money on having a flutter (as I do occasionally) but I'm afraid that I do have an issue with the Grand National.

Too many horses run the same race (it was about 40 yesterday) that over-crowds the field and combined with the fact that very inexperienced horses and jockeys are allowed to compete against more seasoned horse and rider combinations leads to mistakes, which I feel contributes to these accidents more than a normal race.

There seems to be a horse destroyed every year and there were two yesterday along with several treated for injuries after falls. I expect a couple of them will never race again.

As I say, I have nothing against horse-racing in general, but it all seems a terrible waste to me. It also strikes me as a very irresponsible type of race and in this modern age when most other 'dangerous' activities have been curtailed by health and safety. I'm suprised that such a race still exists.

Sorry to bring down the tone of the thread and congratulations to those whose bets paid off, your are either more fortunate, or know how to read the form better than me!

Jules

There's a bint at work who is very vocal about animal cruelty, always banging on about horses and dogs and stuff and she'll be falling over herself to get in early to give us her 'opinion'.

No doubt she will end up blubbing and confused when we all turn on her, bless.

She will not be getting a cream cake either.

joe mcclaine said:
There's a bint at work who is very vocal about animal cruelty, always banging on about horses and dogs and stuff and she'll be falling over herself to get in early to give us her 'opinion'.

No doubt she will end up blubbing and confused when we all turn on her, bless.

She will not be getting a cream cake either.

I hope your being facetious, Vinny...

Back
Top Bottom