The future

sonny said:
I'm using a canon 50mm f/1.8 mk i at the moment. God, I love this lens. Almost as much as the sigma 50mm f/1.4 i had before it. I have to sell it though to release some further funds. I hope the mk ii is just as good (optically) and doesn't fall apart as some internet trolls reckon it will...

If you don't treat your lenses like shite, it will probably still outlive you. The biggest differences are - Mk I has a metal mount ring and a distance scale. Mk II is placca and doesn't.

Photography is my bread and butter, so I'll chime in here....

I'm glad I learnt and shot with film. It makes you understand the full process. Expose, develop, print. You really learn how exposure effects shadows and development affects highlights so that the print will contain the full range of tones.

Many of the techniques still apply to digital. I'm really glad I learnt on film, it has made my digital files much better. You really learn how to light and expose to make the most of the RAW file's capabilities, and you learn to perform a high quality RAW conversion with great dynamic range with both shadow and highlight detail.

Many photographers today wrongly believe that you simply shoot and adjust and re-shoot until it looks right on the LCD. There's far more to it than that! And if you're shooting JPEGS, you're really not getting the best quality, especialy if you want to do fine prints.

I think film will always be available, but it will become a niche product and therefore expensive. I don't believe the argument of "film look" any more, and there are some very high quality actions that will give your files a certain look and feel (e.g. Tri-X grain)

I agree - the megapixel race is over. It has been proven that a compact camera with more than 6MP is useless - you'll get bigger files but no more actual detail - the sensor is simply too small.

My Nikon D3 is "only" 12MP but the quality, especially in low light, is awesome. The 35mm size sensor helps.

I used to shoot Leica M6s. I really wish I could afford an M9. There really is something about rangefinders!

John

I thought the old Mac v Pc was a raging blood lust argument between the two different camps.

It has nothing on the Cannon v Nikon and RAW v Jpeg *debate*

*I use that term fairly loosely*

My mate Jeff (Nikon, film) always used a classic put-down when my other mate (I have two) started going on about Canon... "Canon? Don't they make photocopiers?" Ouch.

cheese_dave said:
My mate Jeff (Nikon, film) always used a classic put-down when my other mate (I have two) started going on about Canon... "Canon? Don't they make photocopiers?" Ouch.

Lol.... I've owned and used extensively both Nikon and Canon pro systems and here are my observations:

- They both make excellent sensors
- Nikon's pro zooms are sharper
- Canons are more ergonomic
- Canon offer wider range of fast primes
- Both of their TTL flash systems are rubbish!

This is purely objective based on my experience using them for hard news, press and PR work.

YMMV!

John

jhclare said:
I used to shoot Leica M6s. I really wish I could afford an M9. There really is something about rangefinders!
Funny - I went the other way...
Started with a Kiev (soviet Contax copy) then to Leica M and then to Canon EOS.
Really must get a digital camera one day, but first I need a slide/neg scanner!

Arrowhead said:
I started with a Fed, Sir Prize (Russian Leica copy), then a Zorki. Eminently suitable for driving tent pegs into hard ground.
Buying Soviet cameras was always a hit and miss affair - mine was 20 years old with very light use when I bought it and it served me faithfully and well until I bought a Leica M.

Back
Top Bottom