The Fitjar brushes

Yesterday I got a package from Norway and one of my favorite soap makers - "Fitjar".
This time, however, the purchase was not for one of their soaps or creams but rather for two of their badger brushes.

Opening up the package the two boxes had a rather familiar look to them.

a175sl.jpg

25ibu2r.jpg

The brushes inside were gorgeous and the badger knots (one Pure and one Super) felt very nice.

The 2190 is a rather small travel brush, with a Pure badger knot, that comes with a storage canister:

2lieeli.jpg

The 2233 has a really lovely handle shape and is set with a Super badger knot
30ll5dt.jpg

Next to each other:
2607vo8.jpg

20aytdh.jpg

As mentioned earlier I thought the boxes and brushes seemed familiar to me so I emailed Jorunn asking about the origin of the brushes and she promptly, and kindly, replied:
"...they are models made by Vulfix in Isle of Man, with our logo on them.they are models made by Vulfix in Isle of Man, with our logo on them."

For anyone curious, prices;
2190: Approx $29 - (NOK 251.20). This brush appears to now be sold out.
2233: Approx $37 - (NOK 327.20)

So there you have it - my two brand-new Fitjar brushes sporting what I believe to be the soon-to-be discontinued logo.

Looking forward to trying them both out in the weeks ahead and,hey, they go well with my Fitjar bowl :D

2vts9lf.jpg

Have always loved the handle shape of the 2233/4/5/6 but am put off by reports that the knots are floppy. No good too a face lather who likes a decent amount of brush with backbone.

Hope you enjoy them, DB.

Have always loved the handle shape of the 2233/4/5/6 but am put off by reports that the knots are floppy. No good too a face lather who likes a decent amount of brush with backbone.

Hope you enjoy them, DB.

It seems ok out of the box - the real test will of course be to use them.
Do you know if the leading "22" indicates that it's a 22mm knot?

No, I believe that's not the case. The model series increases by number i.e 2233, 2234, 2235, 2236. The knot and handle size increase with this ascension in model number. With the 2236, you could probaby hold onto the knot and beat an intruder to death with the handle! Not that I advocate such a use...

We stock the 2233S, one of my current favourites actually. Lovely brush, doesn't follow the current trend of densely packed knots but doesn't intend to I guess. It's hardly like progress vulfix don't know how to make dense brushes, they do produce simpson brushes after all.

If the above noted items are, as is thought, Vulfix's, then I hope it's OK to comment briefly. It's not a secret that, in September, I bought the 2234 Vulfix Silvertip from Diamond Edge for £36.50 as well as the 2235 Super Vulfix for £35 (both inc. VAT plus a total £3.30 P& P for both).

I would have said, at the time, that I thought the smaller 2234 Silvertip to be a thoroughly pleasantl little brush with just the tiniest spot of tingle (not enough to call scritch I'm sure) and it hasn't shed and has a lovely little handle too. A great buy for £36.50 and gets used as regularly as any of my others. It looks, and feels, almost identical to the 22mm Turners Workshop knot which I bought and fitted into a New Forest handle. The only difference is the Turners Workshop knot sheds a bit and the Vulfix doesn't.

The 2235 Super has a lovely handle, wasn't expensive, creates lather like it's going out of fashion, and is as soft as a very soft thing...no scritch or irritation whatsoever. But it really, REALLY, is floppy! It just doesn't have any backbone at all that I can detect. It deforms when splayed and feels, and looks, like a wet fish. It doesn't smell like a wet fish though. BUT it works a treat at creating bucket loads of lather and feels utterly soft on the face therefore I confess to using it often and sort of enjoy using too. I fitted a rubber ring to the base of the knot - and it made no discernible difference.

The end.

I have the 2190, also from Diamond Edge, which I like immensely and go back to again and again, despite it being a travel brush. Splays nicely, the right amount of scritch. £15.60 + post ...

Great to hear that's the next one of the brushes I'm going to try. Good price as well on your - about $5-6 cheaper.
I tried the 2233 Super this morning and as @DevonStan mentioned there is no backbone to talk about in this brush. It lathered up the soap very well though but it did feel as if it was, to me, a bit lacking as far as backbone goes :)

I have the 2190, also from Diamond Edge, which I like immensely and go back to again and again, despite it being a travel brush. Splays nicely, the right amount of scritch. £15.60 + post ...
I've had the 2190 for about 6 or 7 years now, I like it very much although it is a little floppy around the face, would probably be really good in a bowl - if you roll that way.

Regardless, for £15 and change it's a pretty good bargain.

a lil bit of flop is good. my k40 pure badger is wonderful to lather with, does a great job. its floppy and when I lather on my face in circular patterns, it does deform and stay splayed out.

The vdh badger I had, was like a wet rope, and those cut ends were like rocks on the face. But it made lather so well to.

My omega 48 or 49 is like lathering with leaf springs. Yes it makes lather, its rough on the face. But it sprays lather all over the place that I got tired of having to clean the bathroom walls and mirror off each shave.

Back
Top Bottom